1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help choosing headlIghts. NOOB questions!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by cgilbane, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Aug 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    cgilbane

cgilbane [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Avon, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma dbl cab
    remote reservoir fox shocks front and rear
    I am A complete noob when it comes to lighting so sorry if these questions are basic. Or dumb.

What is the difference between project and crystal headlights? Are they both halogen? Also what is hid conversion kit? Is that added to the headlights I buy? Or are they headlights themselves?

I had two broken headlights and need to buy two new ones. I was never happy with the stock brightness and want to buy something that illuminates better.

What is my best bet?

I broke the thingy that holds the lightbulb in place so the bulb is rattling around. The dealership told me that you cant buy a part to fix it and i need to purchase a whole new headlight housing. Does that sound right?

2. Aug 9, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/84308-lighting-faq-please-read-before-posting.html
    Read this first then, if you still have questions, post them up! Lots of good info in this thread and will probably answer most of your questions.

3. Aug 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    SoftShellTaco

SoftShellTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Goldsberry, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Also if you buy new housings more than likely they will be for halogens and if you run an HID kit they will not only illuminate the low beam pattern but the high beam as well unless you get a dual rate HID kit. If you want HIDs I would suggest buying some factory housings then retro fit some projectors preferably Acura 4.5" becuase they are for the most part cheap and because the cutoff is very sharp wich mean all the available light is being sent to were you will be able to see the best. No cutoff or a very undefined one means your light is being scattered not only blinding oncoming drivers but cutting down on your visability. Also stay in the 4600K-8000K heat range because they are the best for distance and what most factory HIDs are. Try your best to buy a good name brand they are pricey but worth it, Phillips, Catz so on and so forth. Hope this helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top