Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Help choosing headlIghts. NOOB questions!!!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
cgilbane will become famous soon enoughcgilbane will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
cgilbane's Tacoma Gallery
Help choosing headlIghts. NOOB questions!!!!!

I am A complete noob when it comes to lighting so sorry if these questions are basic. Or dumb.

What is the difference between project and crystal headlights? Are they both halogen? Also what is hid conversion kit? Is that added to the headlights I buy? Or are they headlights themselves?

I had two broken headlights and need to buy two new ones. I was never happy with the stock brightness and want to buy something that illuminates better.

What is my best bet?

I broke the thingy that holds the lightbulb in place so the bulb is rattling around. The dealership told me that you cant buy a part to fix it and i need to purchase a whole new headlight housing. Does that sound right?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...e-posting.html
Read this first then, if you still have questions, post them up! Lots of good info in this thread and will probably answer most of your questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilbane View Post
I am A complete noob when it comes to lighting so sorry if these questions are basic. Or dumb.

What is the difference between project and crystal headlights? Are they both halogen? Also what is hid conversion kit? Is that added to the headlights I buy? Or are they headlights themselves? Never heard of crystal headlights but projector style is what comes on higher end cars like a BMW, Mercedes, etc. It's a different way to throw light vs. the large reflector bowls our headlights use. You can buy aftermarket projectors or retrofit your stock headlights. Retrofitting will by far produce the best results.

An HID kit replaces the halogen bulb with an HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulb. Most kits are plug and play but HID's are not made to work in reflector style headlights (although many people do put HID's in either their fogs or headlights. They will work, they just have a lot of stray light). They work well in projectors because there is a sharp cut-off meaning you won't blind oncoming traffic. HID's also work well in off road lights where light doesn't have to be as focused as there is no oncoming traffic.

I had two broken headlights and need to buy two new ones. I was never happy with the stock brightness and want to buy something that illuminates better.

Maybe your old ones were not aimed properly? Philips X-Treme bulbs are a simple, cheap upgrade to stock lights. I never had an issue with my stock lights as long as they were properly aimed.

What is my best bet?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
SoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really nice

Air Force: Tactical Aircraft Maintainer
Name: Justin
SoftShellTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Also if you buy new housings more than likely they will be for halogens and if you run an HID kit they will not only illuminate the low beam pattern but the high beam as well unless you get a dual rate HID kit. If you want HIDs I would suggest buying some factory housings then retro fit some projectors preferably Acura 4.5" becuase they are for the most part cheap and because the cutoff is very sharp wich mean all the available light is being sent to were you will be able to see the best. No cutoff or a very undefined one means your light is being scattered not only blinding oncoming drivers but cutting down on your visability. Also stay in the 4600K-8000K heat range because they are the best for distance and what most factory HIDs are. Try your best to buy a good name brand they are pricey but worth it, Phillips, Catz so on and so forth. Hope this helps.