Notices

I want some HIDs

Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
UpstateTRDTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
UpstateTRDTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I want some HIDs

hello TW,

I am in the market for an HID kit for my truck. What do you guys suggest for the color temperature? or where? or at least someone can point me in the right direction??

Im using the search function also as i post this, but most of the time asking a question myself seems to get a better response.

Thanks in advance, Josh
Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
DDM or Slimcubby. The color is up to you but I would not go higher than 35 watt bulbs since 35 watts is already brighter than stock.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
DDM or Slimcubby. The color is up to you but I would not go higher than 35 watt bulbs since 35 watts is already brighter than stock.
x2 or go full out retrofit
Old 08-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
if your looking on the cheaper side DDM tuning has a set for i think right aroun 50 or less, i know there customer service isnt very good but they have a lifetime warranty, and my cousin has them on his Chevy 2500 and they look pretty good i think his were 3000k 35w bulbs there a bright white
Old 08-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Name: Robby
GatorComa's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have HIDs myself (yet), but I know that DDMtuning.com is a pretty popular site. Also, slimcubby is a member on here that often has group buys for his HID kits. As for color, it depends on what you want. The higher the temperature, the bluer the lights When I get HIDs, I'm planning on going with 4500k because I just want a bright white light, and 4500k is supposed to be the brightest and purest white. As you go up in temp, light output also decreases, so most people choose something between 4500k and 6000k. Hope this helps
Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do everyone a favor and do a retrofit. You will blind people without one.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Name: Robby
GatorComa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel7234 View Post
if your looking on the cheaper side DDM tuning has a set for i think right aroun 50 or less, i know there customer service isnt very good but they have a lifetime warranty, and my cousin has them on his Chevy 2500 and they look pretty good i think his were 3000k 35w bulbs there a bright white
I believe 3000k is a very yellow light. A lot of people use them for fogs. Maybe his were 4300 or 4500k?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Past 5000K they start losing brightness.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #9

how expensive is it to do a retrofit?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateTRDTaco View Post
how expensive is it to do a retrofit?
$300+ if you don't do it yourself.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #11

is it really needed? i mean i dont want to get bright headlights and blind everyone, run everyone off the road and cause accidents...
Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
is it really needed? i mean i dont want to get bright headlights and blind everyone, run everyone off the road and cause accidents...
Even in my truck some people with HIDS blind me. Im sure it would be much worse on a lower vehicle. You will also get much better light output with a retrofit.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
Banned
HIDs are not meant for halogen housings. It really depends if you want to do it. I was going to do it but I decided that I will try to run HIDs in the stock housing but I will aim them down a bit.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #14

i guess i could try what you just said whippersnapper, and if i dont like it just put it back to stock? i just can see myself spending 300 plus right now for some hids essentially.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #16
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Just make sure that you adjust them properly- I run 8000k's in a halogen housing (Gonna retrofit eventually) but have them aimed in a way that gives me good output without blinding other drivers. Hi/lo beam HID's also come with a glare shield for the lows, so light doesnt bounce off the bottom of the housing into oncoming traffic-

DDM tuning and slimcubby would be the best place to get them, Or you can test your luck and egay it...
Old 08-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #17
Bozack is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Rube
Bozack's Tacoma Gallery
I went with DDM Tuning. Got a set of their 5000k 35w Raptors for $55 shipped. No additional wiring needed.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #18
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 08-10-2011, 02:45 AM   #19
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
35watt 5000k.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:24 AM   #20
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacovic View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do everyone a favor and do a retrofit. You will blind people without one.
That isn't the only answer. The aftermarket headlights with projectors have cutoffs and will not blind anyone with 35w. If you use oems with 35w kit and re-aim them correctly, they do not blind anyone. People blinding others have 35w in oem without re-aiming or 55w in any housing aimed correctly or not.

Quote:
The only thing about using oem housings is you'll need the kit that does lo/hi combo H4 which is more expensive kit. You can get some aftermarket halo headlights that have seperate hi/lo beams in black or chrome and put a 35w H7 kit in them. These have projectors for lo beams which will have cutoffs and will not blind anyone when aimed correctly. There are 3 different styles and some even come with HIDs in them already. They can be had fairly cheap if you watch FS section. That's the ones you can go with the 50.00 DDM 35w kit. That H4 kit will be 75.00 or so IIRC. The other option would be to put 35w H10 kit in your oem fog housings and not do anything with headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
35watt 5000k.
Winner.