Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Off road lights behind Satoshi grill question

Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Off road lights behind Satoshi grill question

So I was thinking about getting a mesh grill similar to the satoshi grill for my 04 tacoma, primarily to put lights behind it. My question is, how much light loss do you get doing that versus in front of the grill? I'm concerned that it may affect the output too much.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
WORD!?!
tacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tacoman355's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
So I was thinking about getting a mesh grill similar to the satoshi grill for my 04 tacoma, primarily to put lights behind it. My question is, how much light loss do you get doing that versus in front of the grill? I'm concerned that it may affect the output too much.

Thanks!
mine are fine, i dont think it effects them at all. convert them to hids and theyll be really bright!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman355 View Post
mine are fine, i dont think it effects them at all. convert them to hids and theyll be really bright!
i already have the lights and would rather not spend more on converting them... unless it's not that much more??
Old 08-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
From feedback I have received my M1 & M4 styles let all the light through...
no offense, but i would think by definition the laws of physics would disagree...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
WORD!?!
tacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
i already have the lights and would rather not spend more on converting them... unless it's not that much more??
youd have to buy a hid kit and follow a write up on how to convert them. kinda expensive but worth it
Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
s7racing is on a distinguished road
s7racing's Tacoma Gallery
converting to HID's is cheap and easy, I just converted my hella 700ff's to 55w, cost 50 buck and took about 30 min. As far as light lost there is a little bit lost but it's not bad, maybe 5-10% reduction.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #9
WORD!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7racing View Post
converting to HID's is cheap and easy, I just converted my hella 700ff's to 55w, cost 50 buck and took about 30 min. As far as light lost there is a little bit lost but it's not bad, maybe 5-10% reduction.
which hid kit did you buy man?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
s7racing is on a distinguished road
s7racing's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what I got, they are insanely bright!
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
They also sell these for 10$ less not sure if there is any difference in light output, prob just size of ballast.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit
Old 08-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^ X3. HID kits are now in the same price range as over-wattage halogen bulbs, compared to $500+ per kit 7-8 years ago.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 AM   #13
onesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

onesixseven's Tacoma Gallery
dont get me wrong, HID's r nice, but they wont be that nice instant-on of a halogen bulb withhout spending a descent amount. im looking into LED offroad lights, u get the nice HID brightness and color, but instant-on like a halogen. i wanna be able to burn peoples retinas if they flash theyre brights at me