Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing

Old 08-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Blazer Projector Fogs in Factory Fog Housing

Just finished my fog light retro using Blazer projector fogs from TRS. It was actually not too difficult at all. I used an 1 3/4" hole saw and a jig I made to make the holes in the back of the factory housings, just large enough for the projector lens to fit through. The chrome in the factory fogs didn't peel or flake at all, which I was worried about. The lens is just a little larger than 1 3/4" so I used my Dremel to size the hole perfectly. I used JB Weld to glue them together.

No night shots yet because I still don't have my complete 880 HID kit from TRS, I am missing a part. I will certainly get some night shots as soon as possible. I have the halogen bulbs in there now just so I could get them aimed. I managed to get them horizontally level just using reference marks on both lights before I glued them together.

They fit into the bumper with zero modifications, and the factory adjusters still work perfectly. These would just pop right into any Gen II Taco. The Blazers are surprisingly small and light-weight, and they have a great cut-off line like a projector should. The entire body of the Blazer is out in the open so they should run nice and cool.

You can't even tell they are projectors unless you get up close, they still look mostly factory.

Attached Thumbnails
Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-cimg0058.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-cimg0063.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-cimg0066.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-cimg0074.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-cimg0079.jpg  

Old 08-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Fuera culeros..
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
damn beat me to this...i was gonna do projectors a while back but never got around to it haha nice work
Old 08-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
This is the TRS kit I used:

Here is what the cut off looks like on the Blazers (mine aren't yellow though):
Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Taco Sauce
I just spoke with Matt at TRS, the parts I am missing were on back-order but will ship out today. I will have the HID 880's in the fogs by this weekend. Night shots will follow.

P.S. I am almost finished with my FX-R retro as well, it was much more involved that doing the fog light retro. Just waiting on my shrouds. I ordered the Apollo shrouds but they don't fit the FX projector very well at all, just ordered the Orbit shrouds.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Get some night shops up when you can! I'm curious to see if you lose any light in the middle because of the projector being recessed. Looks great though, nice install!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Taco Sauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Get some night shops up when you can! I'm curious to see if you lose any light in the middle because of the projector being recessed. Looks great though, nice install!
I was worried about that as a potential issue, especially if any light was bouncing off the stock reflector and potentially blinding oncoming traffic. I am running the halogen bulbs for now and I can confirm that zero light is blocked or reflected due to the mounting depth of the Blazers. The "beam" that comes out of the Blazer is focused in such a way that it completely misses the stock reflector. I should have some night shots by this weekend...
Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Taco Sauce
Still no night shots yet, it is not that easy to find a good flat wall where there are no other cars around. Here are some pics of the heat sinks I just installed on the Blazer retros.They are 28mm heat sinks for an RC car electric motor, JB Welded on. They should keep the bowls much cooler.

P.S. I did the "return wire down" mod, it definitely increased the output of the Blazers.

Attached Thumbnails
Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-cimg0123.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-cimg0124.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-cimg0127.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-cimg0130.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-cimg0129.jpg  

Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Taco Sauce
I finally got some night shots.

Here is the Blazer fogs only. They do have the "Blazer smile" a bit, which is fixable but I am leaving it because I like it.

Here is the FX retros:

Here is the FX and the Blazers:

Here is the FX high beam:

Here is the FX, Blazers, and my KC drving lights:
Attached Thumbnails
Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-blazer-only.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-fx-only.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-fx-blazer.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-fx-high-beam.jpg   Blazer Fogs in Factory Fog Housing-all-lights.jpg  

Old 10-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
wayne73 is on a distinguished road
Name: Wayne
wayne73's Tacoma Gallery
where did you find those blazer fog lights?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne73 View Post
where did you find those blazer fog lights?
www.theretrofitsource.com

Not to speak for the OP, but figured I'd help you out...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
wayne73 is on a distinguished road
Name: Wayne
wayne73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
www.theretrofitsource.com

Not to speak for the OP, but figured I'd help you out...

Thanks,

I am considering doing a retrofit like this, I currently have 6000K HID in my headlights as well as fog lights, with no shields on the fog light bulbs everyone gets pissed off with the fogs. The headlights are ok since they have shields. I really like the output from HID as I have had them in all my vehicles for the last 8 years.

I wish there were so type of shields I could use for the fog lamp bulbs.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
subbbb subb subbb
You've got the most ridiculously insane factory looking lighting set-up ever, you gonna add these also?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL.. im gonna see what other options i may have other than the Blazer projectors
LS430's in the fog location...
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
Taco Sauce
Bi-xenon fogs are definitely on my mind as a future mod!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #20
Taco Sauce
Quote:
bi-xenon for fogs??
I keep calling these "fog lights" when I actually use them as driving lights. I have yet to encounter any fog. I suppose I should start calling them driving-lights-installed-in-the-fog-light-location. But yes, I would love some bi-xenon driving lights that are installed where the factory fog lights are.

P.S. After using these Blazer driving lights for a while now I am happy to report that I love them. They add fill light to the FX projectors that is just fantastic, yet I don't blind oncoming drivers. I have yet to be flashed by anyone for my lights.