Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Shell Light

Old 10-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
backwoodking is on a distinguished road
backwoodking's Tacoma Gallery
Shell Light

Hey Guys. I just acquired a shell for my truck and I put it on and it looks pretty good. The only problem is that when Im camping it is always dark. There is a light in there, but I can't figure out how to hook it up. I would like it to be hot all the time because it has a switch on it. Anybody have any good ideas? Thanks
Old 10-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Simple answer would be to just run a wire up to the battery, with a fuse close to the battery. Finding a ground closer shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
run wires to it and fuse it right and ground it well...
Old 10-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TightShirts
TightShirts's Tacoma Gallery
why not just buy a ac light and use the outlet in the bed? then you could take it out when you're not camping...
Old 10-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
run it to the battery, use 5 amp fuse close to the battery. There is a ground point behind drivers taillight (threaded stud)
Old 10-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightShirts View Post
why not just buy a ac light and use the outlet in the bed? then you could take it out when you're not camping...

Fail.

Read his bio, he's a first gen, and we first gens don't have plugs in our beds :P

Backwoodking, I'd recommed to just run a wire to the battery, toss in a fuse, and ground it to the frame under the bed. That's the easiest, most straightforward, and cheapest way to do it. Just requires a little bit of manuevering and zip-ties.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
tacoma-king has a spectacular aura abouttacoma-king has a spectacular aura about

tacoma-king's Tacoma Gallery
I would agree that running a wire to the battery with a fuse and then grounding to the bed or frame is the easiest to do it
Old 10-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidro_el_pirata View Post
Fail.

Read his bio, he's a first gen, and we first gens don't have plugs in our beds :P

Backwoodking, I'd recommed to just run a wire to the battery, toss in a fuse, and ground it to the frame under the bed. That's the easiest, most straightforward, and cheapest way to do it. Just requires a little bit of manuevering and zip-ties.
yep, i messed that one up! i guess thats what happens when i get too eager to help...

and agree, that would be the best option. i also saw that some second gen people were adding cig lighter outlets in their beds next to the ac so they could have access to both types of power. if you are running the wires anyways could install one of those so you have a power outlet (not ac) in the bed... might be a nice and handy for some of your camping gear, but idk i don't go camping

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...html#post45453
Old 10-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightShirts View Post
i also saw that some second gen people were adding cig lighter outlets in their beds next to the ac so they could have access to both types of power.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...html#post45453

That's a good idea, I think I might do that actually. My only worry is draining the battery.. It's been dying quickly on me lately, I did some headlight adjusting last night with the engine off and it almost didnt start, it was a very slow chug-chug-chuuuug!

Cars should have kick starts
Old 10-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
The StormTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidro_el_pirata View Post
That's a good idea, I think I might do that actually. My only worry is draining the battery.. It's been dying quickly on me lately, I did some headlight adjusting last night with the engine off and it almost didnt start, it was a very slow chug-chug-chuuuug!

Cars should have kick starts
success! i may have actually helped someone! that doesn't sound good about the battery... maybe something like this could help:

http://www.directdepot.net/product_i...oducts_id=1832