Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

bed fuse block wiring, blue sea choices?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
davescarp is on a distinguished road
davescarp's Tacoma Gallery
bed fuse block wiring, blue sea choices?

Hi all, so i'm looking to do some lighting projects in the bed... Thinking I want to run from the battery to a fuse block so I have constant power for the cap dome light and a some led strips under the rails (maybe a 12v outlet too). now, i'm definitely a newbie when it comes to electrical wiring, but I'm planning on running straight from the battery to the fuse block. Am I correct to assume I need to run both (+) and (-) to the power/fuse block?? then I can wire in the lights as needed, grounding each component to the frame as necessary? Also, I've seen a lot of guys install these next to the battery, is there any inherent problems running it the power the length of the truck to a fuse panel in the bed?

was thinking of going with a blue seas fuse panel. Can some explain to me what advantage of the units with the negative bus are (first pic) vs one w/o the negative bus (second pic)? Sorry if these are stupid questions, just want to be informed so I do this safely and correctly the first time! TIA for any input...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
davescarp is on a distinguished road
davescarp's Tacoma Gallery
OK, I think I get it... I'm planning on running 10 AWG to the block from the battery, then will run a similar ground from the fuse block to the frame.. now I can just attach my grounds directly to the block, which should be a neater way to run it... I don't plan on a ton of things through it, just my cap dome light, a 12v oulet, and maybe some led light strips in the bed...
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need to run a neg. lead all the way from the battery to the fuse block, just run the fuse block neg. with a short piece of wire and ground to the frame