Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

License Plate Light Not Working...save me from a ticket!

Old 08-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Name: Lonnie
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
License Plate Light Not Working...save me from a ticket!

Got pulled over the other day b/c my license plate bulbs weren't working...got a warning. So I ordered some led's from superbrightled's, popped em in today...and the license plate lights still dont work! Checked the 10a tail fuse and everythings good. What else should I check? Any other fuses?

Seems that i've had re-occuring bulbs burning out...when I first got the truck in march a headlight went out, couple weeks later a tail light, then half the dash went out, and also a climate control knob light burnt out. And now the tail light bulbs?! Anybody have any idea whats up?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
jsutter has a spectacular aura aboutjsutter has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
jsutter's Tacoma Gallery
Is any power going to the LEDs? Stick a volt meter in there and check.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Some times the circuit ampacity wont support an LED bulb, or the stock plug has opposite polarity than the LED bulb and will not power it. If you don't have a multimeter, your next step is to purchase the OEM bulbs and replace them, then go from there.

If you do have a multimeter, test DC voltage at the plug like Jsutter said. I would also measure resistance to ground.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Ill try and have someone get me a multimeter today...there's nowhere to buy one in town lol. What does measuring resistance to ground do?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Measuring resistance to ground tells you wether or not your circuit is shorted to ground. For example, if you have a worn or bare +12v wire that is touching the frame, you'll measure 0hms to ground, demonstrating a short.

You can get a cheap, basic multi-meter supporting all the features you need to work on a 12v DC circuit at Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #6

So I borrowed a multimeter...got power. Then put the bulb back in and checked once more...and the light came on? So I pulled the other bulb out and started bending the metal pins a bit and put the bulb back in and after some wiggling it came on. Sweet! lol thanks everybody.