Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How do you install lights on a light bar?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Michael
WaGood24's Tacoma Gallery
How do you install lights on a light bar?

I just put a bull bar on my truck and I'd like to know how to install some off-road lights on them. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Usually there are tabs welded onto the backside of the light bar with holes drilled through. You just bolt the lights on and wire them up.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
The wiring part is what has me most confused. I see spots for my lights on the bar, but I have no clue where they connect to the truck or where to install a switch. Are those usually included in the install instructions when you buy a set?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaGood24 View Post
The wiring part is what has me most confused. I see spots for my lights on the bar, but I have no clue where they connect to the truck or where to install a switch. Are those usually included in the install instructions when you buy a set?
The lights usually come with a basic wiring diagram but they won't tell you specifically how to run the wires into the cab of the truck or where to mount the switch. Some lights come with more comprehensive instructions that others. Do you have lights purchased yet?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #5

Air Force:
No I haven't bought any lights yet. I figured I'd see how technically complicated the install would be as I'm mechanically incompetent.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
buy your lights then go from there. each light set will have a different wiring kit with it. That being said I have always had to add and extend wires when adding aftermarket lights. I would also suggest to get a switch that will fit in one of the factory spots in the cab.
http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45

these will fit in the factory spot with a little bit of trimming.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No I haven't bought any lights yet. I figured I'd see how technically complicated the install would be as I'm mechanically incompetent.
If you want to do your own wiring, a test light would be a good investment. They're relatively inexpensive and it's basically a little pen with a light on the end. If you touch something 'hot' then it lights up to let you know you're attaching to a live circuit. Do you have any experience soldering wires? You can get around this within reason using crimp on connectors but, in my opinion, soldering and head shrinking connections is the best and longest lasting method.

The wiring itself is not difficult. Automotive systems are fairly straight forward since they are DC and low voltage. There are plenty of threads here on wiring and there are lots of people here that can walk you through it as long as you have the proper tools for the job. How you wire them would depend on how you want the lights to function and the switch you want to use. For example you can wire them so they shut off with the ignition rather than having to remember to turn them off.

Also, if you already have factory fog lights, some states have laws where you can only have 4 lights able to be turned on at one time meaning low beams and fogs, high beams and your new lights. This would mean you'd need a relay so your lights can't come on with the low beams if you want to stay with the letter of the law (check your local laws, these vary by state).
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #8

Air Force:
Thanks for all the help. Considering how complicated it sounds and how freaking expensive lights are (I hadn't shopped them at all before my post, my bad) I think I'll leave it alone for awhile. But I appreciate all of the responses.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for all the help. Considering how complicated it sounds and how freaking expensive lights are (I hadn't shopped them at all before my post, my bad) I think I'll leave it alone for awhile. But I appreciate all of the responses.
Once you decide on a set of lights, post back up and we'll help you get them wired. I didn't mean to make it sound complicated, it's actually pretty simple, just a little tedious. Good luck and post up if you have any questions!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
coolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of light

coolreed's Tacoma Gallery
Adding Lights

You need to use a relay to add off road lights. I am surprised there is not an article on this in TacoWorld. This will not stand. There should be a pictorial somewhere on this site showing one the proper way to install a set of Off Road Lights.

I know how to do it but I would like to see how some other Taco owners did it.