Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hella Behind Grill Shake

Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Trucker
503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
503TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Hella Behind Grill Shake

I mounted my Hella 500's on the plastic part of the grill, they shook, so yesterday I fabbed up a nice light bar to hold them and bolted it all together, just like others do. And they still shake/flicker! why is this? Do they shake/flicker when you mount them on a (nfab)light bar like in front of the grill? What needs to be done so they dont shake anymore..or atleast so I'm confident in using them

Okay here is my mount, metal L-brackets, then bolted together with the lights and an 1/8" aluminum angle iron piece across. It's pretty sturdy, yet the lights shake quite a bit.

---

---

---

I can get pics with the grill off if you guys want..maybe I did something wrong with my light bar? idk

Any help and advice is appreciated
Old 08-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Trucker
503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

503TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
my passenger side does too even though its mounted just like the driverside which is super stable. im just going to live with it.
Got a pic of how yours are mounted? I mean I understand the lights will probably shake cuz they won't be perfect like headlights, I just want as minimal shaking as possible you know..and I did it basically like everyone else does here, and I don't see them complaining about the lights shaking
Old 08-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
My KC's shake too, and they are mounted solid, I don't know what to do about it
Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Get better suspension
Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
My lights also shook and I had to fab up something to hold the bottom of the light down to plus the top. But after a little while they started shaking again so I went with one of Tims light bars. His light bar works great and my lights never shake now even while off-roading!!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...group-buy.html
Old 08-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Rubber washers?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
onesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
onesixseven's Tacoma Gallery
yea id say secure the bottom as well, and for both top and bottom use a rubber spacer/washer. please keep updated cuz im doin this to my truck soon, i will be doing a write up as well
Old 08-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
timsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimsxr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timsxr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 503TRD View Post
I'll try the rubber washer idea..and post the write-up link in here when you do it
try adding a brace in the center of your bar like this and bolt it to the center latch brace, the it might help??

Old 08-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
VSC blows
MJF will become famous soon enoughMJF will become famous soon enough

Army: 82nd Airborne
MJF's Tacoma Gallery
Having two small L brackets will shake. You may think by looking at them that they could not possibly bend but they will. I have tried that on many trucks in the past. You need a bracket that is one piece going across the front of the radiator. A 2" x 1/8" piece of angle aluminum works nicely. Just like the above pic except you can use plain angle aluminum.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
Trucker

503TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Having two small L brackets will shake. You may think by looking at them that they could not possibly bend but they will. I have tried that on many trucks in the past. You need a bracket that is one piece going across the front of the radiator. A 2" x 1/8" piece of angle aluminum works nicely. i'll take a pic in the morning.
please do. thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
VSC blows
MJF will become famous soon enoughMJF will become famous soon enough

Army: 82nd Airborne
MJF's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a few pics. I used a 3" x 2" angle alum. bar. I can go close to the Grillcraft grill I have now or move them back for a Satoshi grill. The bar is mounted to the existing radiator support bolts. It is rock solid.
Attached Thumbnails
Hella Behind Grill Shake-dsc01290.jpg   Hella Behind Grill Shake-dsc01291.jpg   Hella Behind Grill Shake-dsc01292.jpg  
Old 08-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
I had my hella 500s mounted to the two thick plastic parts that hold the grill and shroud to the radiator it wits good bit if I had any smaller of lights I would def had spent the money and got that cool little bracket thing.