Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Corner Light / Blinker Conversion

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
Corner Light / Blinker Conversion

For all you first-genners out there putting on aftermarket bumpers, here's an idea. This is still in the "experimental" stage -- my dad and I bench-tested it -- but I'll have an actual, working update in 2 weeks when I get my Elite front bumper installed.

I wasn't happy with the idea of hacking up my corner light housings to fit a larger, 2 filament bulb or any of the other options, so in talking with my dad and a little trial-and-error in our bench testing setup, we've devised this plan:

---

The Setup
Using a 3-2 wire tail light converter (most often used for trailer tail light/turn signal applications), we can combine the corner light and blinker signal for each side into the oem bulb and wiring.

This will allow the corner light to be on and then blink when the blinker for that side is activated, then return to off or on (depending on whether or not the headlights are on)

Parts:
- A 3 to 2-wire Tail light converter (Link)
- Lengths of wire (varies, depending on how you route the wires)
- Various tools (wire stripper, needle-nose pliers, solder gun, etc.)

Wiring:
I'm terrible at drawing schematics, but hopefully, this graphic gives an idea of what's going on here. It's pretty simple. Basically, the blinker lights are wired as marked and then you run the corner light signal to the tail light input on the controller.

Enjoy! I'll be updating this post with pictures and video when I do the actual install.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Just some guy
JRockTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
JRockTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Did u ever try this out ?
If so, how were the results ?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Sub.... Please do follow up soon I'm about to rip into mine this weekend.....would love to save the headaches if possible .....
Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

jesus's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone tryed this yet if so do ya have pic or vids ya can share
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Bum.. anyone know if this will work. ..
Old 12-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
hey, totally forgot about this thread! it *did* end up working. i no longer have that truck and it appears i deleted the wiring diagram from TW. i'll see if i have it on my home computer.

on my new truck, i ended up swapping the running light bulb and socket for a new dual filament 1157 bulb and socket. now the corner lights come on with the parking/head lights and blink brighter with the turn signals. it requires a little dremeling to fit the new bulb and socket in, but it's a much cleaner job over all.

EDIT: Here's the writeup I used: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post1545613

Products Discussed in this Thread