Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Suggestions on getting out loose bulb in fixture

Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Icepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
Icepuck72's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestions on getting out loose bulb in fixture

I lost one of my 194 LED's in my corner marker. Really really don't want to take out my headlight fixtures just to get this out.

Any tool out there that may be able to help get this bulb out?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
How about a coat hanger with some two-sided sticky tape on the end? Just make sure to really secure the tape to the coat hanger so you don't wind up with that falling in there too. And make sure you don't touch the lens or reflector since it might leave a smudge.

And of course there is always one of these:
Old 08-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Icepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Yeah....did the coat hanger thing with the tape. Sounds good but it doesn't work. It will stick to the bulb but then there's just no way to maneuver and it falls off.

What is that in the pic? That will work!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Working on my dirt tan
TacoMTB will become famous soon enoughTacoMTB will become famous soon enough
TacoMTB's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestion

Try some silicone/clear tubing roughly the same diameter as the bulb. Slowly push the open end over and weasel it backwards.

Someone suggested this to me for replacing the overhead console bulb and it worked like a charm.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #5

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMTB View Post
Try some silicone/clear tubing roughly the same diameter as the bulb. Slowly push the open end over and weasel it backwards.

Someone suggested this to me for replacing the overhead console bulb and it worked like a charm.

Good luck!
Yeah, thought about that too....even had the silicone out on the driveway....but after I saw how tricky it was to maneuver the coat hanger with just tape on it...I didn't want to chance getting silicone all over my lens.

Thanks for the suggestions....anyone know what that tool is posted above?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icepuck72 View Post
Yeah, thought about that too....even had the silicone out on the driveway....but after I saw how tricky it was to maneuver the coat hanger with just tape on it...I didn't want to chance getting silicone all over my lens.

Thanks for the suggestions....anyone know what that tool is posted above?
I think it's called a pronged pick-up tool or parts grabber. They're not that hard to come by. Try Sears.

I don't know this website but here's an option.
http://www.hometech.com/hts/products...ec-902257.html
Edit, more reputable source:
http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Pick-.../dp/B003BKB4Y2
Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #7

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I think it's called a pronged pick-up tool or parts grabber. They're not that hard to come by. Try Sears.

I don't know this website but here's an option.
http://www.hometech.com/hts/products...ec-902257.html
Edit, more reputable source:
http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Pick-.../dp/B003BKB4Y2
Perfect...I'm going to give this one last try....if not, going to have to bite the bullet and take off the headlight.

Thanks for all the quick responses.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icepuck72 View Post
Perfect...I'm going to give this one last try....if not, going to have to bite the bullet and take off the headlight.

Thanks for all the quick responses.
Have you tried a vacuum with a flexy straw?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #9

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Have you tried a vacuum with a flexy straw?
Negative....but WTH....I'm gonna try! I have a shop vac, some duct tape and a 3 year old...which means I have flexi straws.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
You could always use something like clear fish tank air pump tubing. Touch the bulb with one end and suck on the other end. If you are able to do this successfully, you are hired.

As for the grabber tool, they are available at every parts store in the world, for cheap.