Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

PIAA 540 install help

Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Kmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kmacafee's Tacoma Gallery
PIAA 540 install help

Greetings

I have searched the threads but could not find what I was looking for so I hope someone can help. I have a 2011 TRD Access Cab that I just installed new Aluminess bumpers on. I am trying to install PIAA 540 driving lights and based on what other people have told me, one should be able to use the existing relay that powered the stock fogs. I simply hooked the PIAA wires to the fog light harness and they do not work.

Do you have to use the PIAA harness and that stupid remote switch? I can't believe the PIAA lights have any different requirements than the stock ones but hope some of the guru's here can set me straight.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Cheers

Kevin MacAfee
Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Kmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
No insult taken

I double checked the wiring. I did turn on the key, depressed the fog light switch and nada.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
There shouldn't be anything different about the PIAA set-up vs. stock wiring. They do draw more power though, did it blow a fuse when you hooked them up to the stock wiring?
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
blows fuses

I wired direct from factory harness to PIAA's. It appears Toyota used 20 gauge wire and PIAA uses 18 but its hard to believe thats the issue.

Whenever you push the standard fog light switch, the fuse blows. I may just use the harness.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I have PIAA 520 driving lights behind my grill and I used the standard switch the PIAA came with but just the other week, I swapped it with this switch which fits into our stock slots with minimum trimming. The switch also comes lit if you want. I installed a lighted one and I love it!!

http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45
Old 10-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
TxCavScout is on a distinguished road

Army: Rock of the Marne
Name: Ryan
TxCavScout's Tacoma Gallery
BUMP

Just installed my 510's in the same manner as the OP, blows the 15A fuse. Tried a 30A and still blows the fuse. Any ideas?