1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

People with HIDs

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by skierpunk, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Nov 7, 2008 at 9:19 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Mine are great and since I adjusted them have had no problems.

2. Nov 8, 2008 at 7:00 PM
    X-Travagant

X-Travagant Vacuum Leaks

Member:
    E-City, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Supercharged X -Runner
    Vacuum leak and a baby seat
    If you have a low kit they will still have a shield.....unles its just a cheapo kit...

3. Nov 8, 2008 at 9:28 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    And where did you get those bad boys? :D

4. Nov 9, 2008 at 6:50 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Theres this guy on here that does group buys for the hid kits, he has a great product, ships fast and at a good price. Think his SC is Slimcubby. Thanks Slim.

5. Nov 9, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Haha your welcome!

6. Nov 10, 2008 at 1:05 PM
    skierpunk

skierpunk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Off Road.
    TRD mats and seat covers, smoked tail lights, smoked turn signal corners, Revtek lift, Access LE tonnaeu, HIDs, grillcraft mesh grill, TRD CAI, custom bike racks, Alpine system.
    Until I can find a better solution I changed out my HIDs so I wont be interfering with other drivers at night. I have to say I miss the added visibility at night already.

I thought my kit was a bixeon kit, that’s what the box says. I can still switch on my brights but they are very dim compared to the low beam HIDs. Is a true biexon kit HID at both settings? Also weird that mine didn’t come with the shields.

7. Nov 13, 2008 at 9:14 AM
    FamouzStarz

FamouzStarz The illest taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    ICON Build and then some
    no matter what you do after market HID's in a halogen designed housing will blind, only solution is to do a retro fit with some good projectors, or you could try a ebay projector housing.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Nov 13, 2008 at 9:18 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Not true. I have HID's and have never blinded nor been flashed. It has to do with the quality of the kit and aiming of your headlights. I am also lifted which should make it more of an annoyance for oncoming traffic etc. but nothing not one flash. I agree there are some crappy kits out there that probably do blind the hell out of a lot of people and glare up the road. But I wouldn't say that ALL kits no matter what would be a bad blinding situation. I haven't heard any problems with my kits and sold over 200 of them.

9. Nov 13, 2008 at 9:31 AM
    FamouzStarz

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    ICON Build and then some
    here is a good write up done by gujuxtacsy[​IMG] a ebay member:

We've all seen those high end cars such as Lexus and BMW who have those nice looking lights on their cars. They look so good. the color is not white but more of a blue and it gives the car a sleek and sexy look even at night. And the illumination? It leaves you in awe how much light is projected on the road by these high end cars and how much more of the road they can see than you can with your halogen bulbs. So you go home and find out its "HID" technology. High Intensity Discharge lights? sounds good doesn't it? So you look on eBay or wherever else you shop and try and find these lights, awesome, these kits range from as little as $75 to as high as even $300-400.
    But before you place that bid or take out your credit card to buy those lights, read about what HID does for your car when you don't have one of those high end cars.
    Those high ends cars have headlights especially designed to project that HID light (which can be as much as 300% more light than halogen) onto the road and not cause it to blind on coming traffic. Most high end cars nowadays have Projectors in their headlights which project light onto the road and cut it off at a certain point so no light is projected above that point to blind oncoming drivers.

Q: So can i put HID lights in my halogen housing?
    A: YES, you can. but should you? NO. HID in halogen housing causing lots and lots of light scatter. That light isn't projected onto the road properly and thus is all over the place, including straight up where its blinding anyone who is coming towards you. Not to mention your blinding the person who you are driving behind because they are getting crazy reflections off their mirrors which gets them.

Q: Is there a way to put HID's on my halogen headlight equipped car then?
    A: YES, there is. There are many aftermarket companies that produce aftermarket projectors that you can install in your car and make the HID lighting safe to use. You can find many of them here on eBay itself. You could even buy parts from a car that had HID projectors (such as the Acura TSX, E55 BMW) and retrofit those into your headlights. Altho this does not make your headlights 100% legal, it does let you not blind oncoming traffic, and keep the look of HID like those on high end cars. Although both ways may require some $$, its worth it to make your lights look good, and to not blind oncoming drivers.

Q: How much do aftermarket projectors cost? Retrofits?
    A: Ebay projects are anywhere from $100 - $400+ depending on your cars set up. Retrofits depend on what car you pull the projectors from and what kind of parts you use, but usually its going to be upwards of $500 & the time it takes to put them together.

Q: Why can't I just buy HID's off ebay and use them in my car?
    A: its not legal, your blinding everyone else on the road, putting everyone + yourself at risk. All these Plug n Play HID's also mean your putting extra stress on your wiring harness during the period the HID's are firing up which can overload it and fry it, then your gonna be spending hundreds or more redoing your wiring harness. This is because when HID's are turned on, they require a fairly high amount of energy to get started, after that the energy levels drop to usually 35watts. That first period of firing up those HID's is drawing more power than your stock wiring harness is built to handle.That also is somewhat of a fire risk, overloading your stock wires is dangerous. Don't put anything at risk over some HID's.

HID glare:
    You'd be amazed the amount of glare that HID lights put out. If you think staring at the headlights of a car coming towards you is blinding, imagine staring at the headlights of a car with lights 300% brighter than normal. That's even worse than staring into regular halogen high beams. Not only do you put others at risk of an accident, you put yourself at risk of an accident from oncoming drivers who cant see. Don't just stick a HID kit in your halogen housing and call it a day.

HID's are not legal in halogen housing!

HID's in halogen housing are also illegal in most areas. So not only are you going to blind oncoming drivers and put yourself and others at risk, your risking getting a ticket and having to deal with the whole process of than removing your HID kit and going to court to get your car inspected to pass again. Why put yourself through the hassle all cause you wanted the cool look of HID?

ALSO by in no way am i preaching that you should'nt do hid's i myself am running hid's in the stock housing, and have adjusted the angle on the housings but glare will always be there, but hey I CAN SEE lol isnt that the point of these things? i live rural and only 10% of my nighttime driving is done in a city but yea :)

10. Nov 13, 2008 at 10:02 AM
    skierpunk

skierpunk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Off Road.
    TRD mats and seat covers, smoked tail lights, smoked turn signal corners, Revtek lift, Access LE tonnaeu, HIDs, grillcraft mesh grill, TRD CAI, custom bike racks, Alpine system.
    This is all very good imformation, so my next question is why did our trucks not come with projectors in the first place? The 4runners do. Has anyone tried to retro fit those lights into a tacoma?

11. Nov 13, 2008 at 10:14 AM
    FamouzStarz

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    ICON Build and then some

good question we got jipped!!

12. Nov 13, 2008 at 2:13 PM
    X-Travagant

X-Travagant Vacuum Leaks

Member: