Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Where to wire bed lights

Old 08-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
mgolland45 is on a distinguished road
mgolland45's Tacoma Gallery
Where to wire bed lights

I recently purchased some LED rope light from lowes in hope to wire it into my bed. I read some of the DIY's but I was hoping to be able to use the lights with the vehicle completely off, via a switch in one of the rear cubbies. Could i tap power from one of the tail lights? The rope lights are designed for home use, so my first thought was to wire them into the AC outlet in the rear but that only runs when idling. I (clearly) know little about electronics and would appreciate help.

Thanks
Wes
Old 08-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If they have to be run off a/c power, you can't use them in the truck unless you plug them into the power outlet. Automotive electronics are typically d/c. I'd take them back and get some low draw LED's at an autoparts store.

The only way to make them work with the truck off is to wire them to the battery using an in-line fuse. The problem is, if you forget and leave them on, it'll kill your battery. Personally, I'd wire them either to the ignition or the running lights so they'll turn off with the key regardless of the switch position.

Welcome from another Bostonian
Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
Linelock4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jared
Linelock4's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking for DC powered rope lights try JC Whitney. The should have it as it was used in older limos and motorhomes. Then use a relay and go straight to the battery.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
mgolland45 is on a distinguished road
mgolland45's Tacoma Gallery
Perfect, thanks guys!

Wes