1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Daytime and Turn Signal Lighting Mod Idea

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jtice, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    jtice

jtice [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Pioneer P4100DVD, 10" Pioneer Shallow Mount Sub
    So far I have done the mod that lets me turn my fog lights on anytime I want, with the parking lights, lowbeams or highbeams.
    I have also done a mod that makes the lowbeam filament of my front turn signals (lights between grill and headlights) turn on with the parking lights, this is similar to adding the daytime running light feature.

Anyway, today I got an idea and wanted to run it by everyone here.
    First off, I wanted to replace all four amber lights on the front of the truck with leds.
    I noticed that there are no "dual filament" amber led options that I can see. So I cant find a direct replacement for those inner lights by the grill.
    And, even if I could, that would mean they would be lit up dim as driving lights, and then flash brighter as a turn signal.
    I would rather them run on the bright setting as daytime/marker lights.

I want to do something a bit different. I want to replace all 4 front amber lights with regular single brightness leds.
    Then I want to wire up all four to come on as parking lights, or, daytime running lights. (first position on the factory light switch)
    Then I want to wire in a SPDT relay, so that in normal use (with the factory switch in the first position) all 4 lights will stay on. This will use the 87a terminal on the relay, the one that is connected when power it NOT applied to the relay.
    I then want to hook the turn signal wire to the relay, so that when I turn on a turn signal, it will be applying power on and off the relay. When this happens, the replay will switch to the 87 terminal, which will not be connected to anything, thus breaking the circuit, making the lights go out.
    Basically, instead of the turn signals making the lights come on, or brighten when used, they will be making the lights flash OFF.

I may have to wire that 87 terminal to a resistor though, so that the factory turn signal relay sees a load, so the truck doesnt think a bulb is burned out.

So, anyone see any issues with this idea?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    ~John

2. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    jtice

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Well, I just thought of a problem with this...
    That will all work just fine when the factory light switch is on...
    But when its off, there will be no power to the lights, so if I used the turn signal then, they would not be lit up in the first place to turn off when blinking...

Hmmmmm what would be the best way to get around this issue?

I guess I would have to add in another relay to the system, that made it use this relay system when the lights were on, and bypass it when the lights were off?

3. Sep 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    jtice

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    OK, I think I have this figured out, let me know if you think this will work.
    [​IMG]

4. Sep 2, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    jtice

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    No one wants to tell me I am crazy before I attempt this? lol
    Found the relays I need last night, might order the LED lights today.

5. Sep 2, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    skunk

skunk what did I miss?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudi
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 (STOLEN)
    YOU WILL BE MISSED Satoshi Grill, FX-R retros, husky liners, bed bolt d-rings, TRD short throw shifter, 2.5 Fox Coil overs, AP UCA's, AP Expo rear leaf with Fox 2.0 shocks, Extended SS brake lines, AP kick-out sliders, 265/75/16 on Konig Countersteers, AllPro Apex front bumper and Zip Ties.
    your crazy but it sure seems like a good idea.

6. Sep 2, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    I like the idea and am subbing for results

7. Sep 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    jtice

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    I am happy to report that this all worked!!!! Amazingly :D
    Got the relays all wired in today and tested it out, works just as I expected it to.
    I am still waiting on the LED replacement lights to arrive, once those get here I will post up a vid showing how it all works, and comparing the stock bulbs to the LED ones.

About the only "problem" is that when the lights are on, and you use the turn signal, they will flash faster than they do stock. "hyper flash"
    This is cuz they are technically flashing OFF, so the trucks stock turn signal relay isnt seeing a load, so it thinks the bulbs are burned out.
    Its not a big deal, and perfectly fine to keep it this way is you dont mind it.
    But you can also fix it by adding in a resistor to make the stock relay see a load.
    This is an issue with alot of vehicles when you use LED lights, since they have much less resistance than stock bulbs. So even with stock wiring you could see this happen.
    So it will be interesting to see what they do with the LED bulbs installed.

Products Discussed in

To Top