Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

L.E.D's in Off-Road Lights?

Old 09-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
L.E.D's in Off-Road Lights?

I was wondering if replacing the regular h3 bulbs with led h3 bulbs would make an improvement in light output for my off-road lights, not that they aren't already bright. I just want to make them as bright as possible. HID's are to expensive to get right now.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same idea..but to convert some cheap off road lights to say an 8-LED bulb.

Subbed.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
LEDs are more exspensive than HIDs (at least what I have seen).

Also, LEDs are a poor choice in dusty conditions (ie night trailing with others or off road racing) because the suckers are SOOO bright and broad pattern, the dust particles reflect all that light back at you. HIDs in a pencil or driving beam will penetrate through the dust clouds a bit better.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
LEDs are more exspensive than HIDs (at least what I have seen).

Also, LEDs are a poor choice in dusty conditions (ie night trailing with others or off road racing) because the suckers are SOOO bright and broad pattern, the dust particles reflect all that light back at you. HIDs in a pencil or driving beam will penetrate through the dust clouds a bit better.
Oh, okay thanks! LEDs would cost about $45 for all four. HID kits would cost a little over $150... I'll just stick with the halogen bulbs for now though.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Oh, okay thanks! LEDs would cost about $45 for all four. HID kits would cost a little over $150... I'll just stick with the halogen bulbs for now though.

Can you provide a link to these LEDs...? What I have seen are $400-$2000.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Problem with LED's is the output is not focused at all, the light is very scattered. So in order for it to be of any use, you need a properly designed reflector
Old 09-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
prolly be a downgrade, just like the LED fog bulbs people sell.

save up for better lights, and or HID

what lights u have now?
Right now I have four 6 in. 100 watt KC Daylighters

Quote:
Can you provide a link to these LEDs...? What I have seen are $400-$2000.
I'm just talking about an H3 L.E.D bulb, not a whole setup.
Link
Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #9

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Oh... that isn't at all what I thought you wanted... you said off road lights... not daytime running lamp bulbs (your link).

Those bulbs won't light up the KC lamps and give you a beam of light a mile long, like the Daylighters do.

Here is an LED off road lamp ($450):

"The Brightest LED Headlight On The Market"

LED (Light Emitting Diode) lighting has been around for years but is new to the offroad scene. Recent advances in technology have made it possible to produce high-output LEDs capable of reaching the performance and pricing of HID lighting. Baja Designs' revolutionary new forward lighting LED will set an even higher standard in high-performance off-road lighting.
Weighing in at only 4 pounds 3 ounces the LED light features an arrangement of 18 LEDs which produce an incredibly smooth, even distribution of light. The light produces approximately 2880 lumens while consuming only 50 watts of power.

Other Features Include:
- 5000 Kelvin temperature for natural white color
- Weighs only 4 pounds 3 ounces
- Uparalleled vibration and shock resistance
- Dimensions: 8.46" wide and 4.9" tall
- Light mounts easily with one bolt
- Easy wiring, only one hot and one ground to connect
- Patented "Aim-N-Go" feature allows for tool-less light adjustment
- Replaceable built-in rock guards protect anything you can throw at them
- Rock guards also control the optics, which means you can easily go from one pattern to another.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #11

David K's Tacoma Gallery
We're watching out for you amigo!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #12

Quote:
We're watching out for you amigo!
Haha thanks anyways though! I don't even no why I'm asking this because I've got other things I need to buy...