Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Power Inverter Interior Plugs

Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Only from the waist down.
nubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reverend
nubbs's Tacoma Gallery
Power Inverter Interior Plugs

Let me first apologize for posting this under lighting, but it surely didn't belong under Tech and has relevance amongst all the wiring discussion here.

Has anyone added any additional AC plugs off of the factory inverter to the interior of the cab? I find it ridiculous that the inverter is under the center console and the only outlet is at the rear of the bed. (Way to go Toyota!) I always have to carry a seperate inverter to run my computer while at work. (The yoter doubles as my office.) I looked at all the wiring and its very straight forward, no mid-harness wire changes. I have all my plans worked out, less some asthetic decision making, but just wanted to see if anyone else had tackled this.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have an answer but can add my thoughts.

I don't have a stock inverter, but I do have a portable one. My intentions are to take apart my inverter and install it in the stock location in the center console. The wires are already there so I can just get power that route I think. My inverter has multiple plug in options so I'll have those in the cab at which ever locations I choose. I believe the TRD trucks have a switch to turn the power on to the inverter so I'll likely have to work that out when I get to that point.

I don't see why you couldn't add multiple ports to your stock setup however I am not familiar with your model truck. So its just my educated guess.

Keep us posted I'm interested to see how it turns out.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ytime-mod.html

Check out this thread, PSUTaco added A/C plugs to his interior.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
nubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nubbs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ytime-mod.html

Check out this thread, PSUTaco added A/C plugs to his interior.
That was along the lines of what I intend to do with the additional plugs on the back of the center console. I have an old inverter that I will remove the plugs from, but I haven't decided if I will use the front plate off of the old inverter to mount the outlets, or whetber I will just put them directly into the console as seen by PSUTaco. Either way I end up going I'll be sure to include pics.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbs View Post
Let me first apologize for posting this under lighting, but it surely didn't belong under Tech and has relevance amongst all the wiring discussion here.

Has anyone added any additional AC plugs off of the factory inverter to the interior of the cab? I find it ridiculous that the inverter is under the center console and the only outlet is at the rear of the bed. (Way to go Toyota!) I always have to carry a seperate inverter to run my computer while at work. (The yoter doubles as my office.) I looked at all the wiring and its very straight forward, no mid-harness wire changes. I have all my plans worked out, less some asthetic decision making, but just wanted to see if anyone else had tackled this.
I agree it's retarded that they didn't put one inside truck.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The FJ has one inside.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbs View Post
Only because they couldn't figure out how to incorporate one into the spare tire carrier.
Meh. The Toyota junk sucks anyway. If I had the need I would ditch the stock stuff and go with an aftermarket inverter.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #9

nubbs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Meh. The Toyota junk sucks anyway. If I had the need I would ditch the stock stuff and go with an aftermarket inverter.
True it is a pretty inadequate and lame set up, but for the frequency I use it and the demand that I reaujre from it, it is sufficient. It would be nice if it had more guts and some oulets in cab, thats all I ask.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
skippermike is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
skippermike's Tacoma Gallery
Inverter

The factory inverter is too weak to be of much use. Plus, it will kill your starting battery!!
After almost running my battery dead with lights, VHF, chargers, etc. I installed a second AGM battery in back of the passenger side seat in our DBL cab.
Using a smart battery combiner keeps it charged when running, but prevents it from depleting truck primary battery when truck is not running.
Then, attached additional outlets and a real inverter to this second battery. All non-truck loads run off it. No danger of killing the engine battery. We've been at Baja races with lights on, VHF on, work lights on, chargers on, compressor, etc. overnight - no problem.
In the recent power outage, I ran an extension cord down to the truck, and ran our cable box and TV for 2+ hours.
Good info is at Blue Sea web site, and Zantrex web site.
It is all usual marine stuff. No Mickey-mouse crap!
Good luck.