Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

ROCKER SWITCH HELP!!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Someone didnt put the tailgate down!
THROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
THROUGHITALLDUDE's Tacoma Gallery
ROCKER SWITCH HELP!!

Hey guys so I bought a switch for my hellas behind my grills from oznium http://www.oznium.com/scion-switch-led/tech they look great and work. BUT once I connected the battery the little light in the switch is illuminated and stay illuminated it doesnt turn off even when the truck is off because I have it hooked up to my battery. I wanted to see if this is my bad or the switches bad I have fuses where they should be and every also. If I leave it could this drain my battery or is it not big enough to drain my battery??
Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The switch shouldn't be taking power directly from the battery. You should find a jumper wire from a circuit that is only on when the ignition is on and run that to a relay. Run power from the battery to the relay that way everything shuts off when the ignition turns off.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
if the switch has a light on it, there should be a separate wire that would get connected to an AC source that will draw power only when the key is turned...
Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
if the switch has a light on it, there should be a separate wire that would get connected to an AC source that will draw power only when the key is turned...
not for that switch, that switch only has 3 prongs based on the wiring diagram you linked to.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
not for that switch, that switch only has 3 prongs based on the wiring diagram you linked to.

didn't click on the link..you're right
Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
so the light stays on even when the switch is "off"?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
so the light stays on even when the switch is "off"?

doesn't sound like it should, but I don't like that wiring diagram on Oznium's site. There are much better ways to hook up lights!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
yea it shouldn't but almost sounds like his is....

the relay option is a great way to make sure it isn't powered when the key is off
Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
THROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have a relay and the whole nine yards the only thing I did not do is splice into any of my trucks wiring because I would like to be able to turn them on and off with the truck off but I am just worried this light is going to drain my battery while its sitting on
Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
oh ok...

still seems odd how the light stays on when the switch is off...doesn't seem right

do your hellas turn on and off properly?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #11

Ya everything runs perfect....I think its really odd I called the company cause I think it has to do with the switch but she didnt sound like she knew anything about lights and said it sounds like I am getting too much power and I was like thats not possible I have a fuse between the battery and the switch if that was the case I would blow my fuse
Old 09-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THROUGHITALLDUDE View Post
Ya everything runs perfect....I think its really odd I called the company cause I think it has to do with the switch but she didnt sound like she knew anything about lights and said it sounds like I am getting too much power and I was like thats not possible I have a fuse between the battery and the switch if that was the case I would blow my fuse
You might have too much power for the switch. Are you running power from the battery directly to the switch and then out to the lights? You mentioned you have a relay somewhere in there, where is that located within the wiring diagram?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #13

I have a relay that came with the hellas the only thing running to my switch is power ground and lights. I ran a little crap switch from autozone for the past month and it worked as it should I liked this for the more oem look but I cant imagine this one handles less power than the autozone one could it??
Old 09-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a relay that came with the hellas the only thing running to my switch is power ground and lights. I ran a little crap switch from autozone for the past month and it worked as it should I liked this for the more oem look but I cant imagine this one handles less power than the autozone one could it??
I think you have a defective switch. If it worked perfectly fine with a cheap switch and now that LED won't turn off, somethings either wrong with your wiring or the switch is messed up internally. If you're confident in your wiring, the switch is the culprit.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
I am guessing, and take no responsibility for any damage caused by my analysis, since I'm not there to test out your switch or circuit. However, based on the information you have provided, I believe you have wired your switch as shown in my schematic below. This is the way the supplier suggest you wire it.

This causes the pilot light to be on all the time. What you need to do is to wire it as shown below. That way, the pilot light is in parallel with your for lights, and will function as an indicator light, turning on only when the fog lights are on. This is essentially swapping terminals 2, and 3.

Good luck, and I hope this helps. Again, please note my disclaimer above. I am only working with what limited information I have.
Attached Thumbnails
ROCKER SWITCH HELP!!-switch.jpg   ROCKER SWITCH HELP!!-switch-2.jpg  
Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I am guessing, and take no responsibility for any damage caused by my analysis, since I'm not there to test out your switch or circuit. However, based on the information you have provided, I believe you have wired your switch as shown in my schematic below. This is the way the supplier suggest you wire it.

The indicator light is prewired within the switch though. I think your diagram is correct however the switch internals should shut the indicator light off when the accessory is off. Based on that diagram, there's no way to shut the indicator light off.

OP, try this, switch the leads from #2 and #3 on the switch.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #17
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The indicator light is prewired within the switch though. I think your diagram is correct however the switch internals should shut the indicator light off when the accessory is off. Based on that diagram, there's no way to shut the indicator light off.

OP, try this, switch the leads from #2 and #3 on the switch.
I'm afraid I posted my reply before I was finished. Please see my edited post # 15 above.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post

Good luck, and I hope this helps. Again, please note my disclaimer above. I am only working with what limited information I have.
Don't wire your lights like this... that wiring diagram runs what should be a ground for the switch into the hot wire for the lights...

Try what I said and switch the terminals 2 and 3 (wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer's wiring diagram was incorrect). That may solve your problem or you have a defective switch and there's not a lot you can do about it.

Edit: nvm, you deleted your diagram...
Old 09-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #19

I fixed it guys the company's diagram they sent me had the power line and the lamp line switched I called them and the guy told me to flip them works like a charm =) heres a pic thanks for helping too
Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #20
Canadian Member

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I fixed it guys there diagram them sent me has the power line and the lamp line switched I called them and the guy told me to flip them works like a charm =) heres a pic thanks for helping too
Glad it all worked out. I also fixed my schematic diagram on post #15. It was originally wrong, and the pilot light would have never lit, as it would have had 12 V on both leads.