Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Yellow light things? Where the blinkers are?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Yellow light things? Where the blinkers are?

Not quite sure how to word this.. Bare with me..

I noticed a lot of tacoma's can have the yellow strip of light (the blinker light)
They can have it stay on, and I thought all tacoma's had this feature, but when i turn my light switch to the middle, only the sides of my headlights turn on..

whats up with this? is it some kind of bonus feature? day time running lights?

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question...
Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Daytime Running Lights.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
neoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neoflex's Tacoma Gallery
I think what you are referring to is the DRL that some Tacomas were equipped with while other weren't.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thought so! Thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
An easy wire in. Takes about 10 mins, and 2ft of wire.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc350 View Post
Takes about 5 seconds and a pair of wire cutters to take them out.. Roflmao

JK.....
Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
no issues yet with my '11
Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Go onnnn......
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
There was no mention of the relays in his post... I've seen the diy many times, I cant justify spending 50 bucks to make my turn signals stay on...
Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
There was no mention of the relays in his post... I've seen the diy many times, I cant justify spending 50 bucks to make my turn signals stay on...
Well you can wire them directly to the headlights so they are on all the time and they never blink or anything or you can do it the right way with relays so they work properly. They choice is yours.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
I jumped them from the side marker lights. So they come on with parking lights. Just jump from marker hot and pop the plug from the turn signal connector push wire in plugs spot with 1/4 wire striped replug test.Lights come on with parking lights and headlights and turn signals work as they did before mod. You'll see it's a high/low bulb.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
I jumped them from the side marker lights. So they come on with parking lights. Just jump from marker hot and pop the plug from the turn signal connector push wire in plugs spot with 1/4 wire striped replug test.Lights come on with parking lights and headlights and turn signals work as they did before mod. You'll see it's a high/low bulb.
Think you could make a quick schematic for this? I think I follow, and it makes sense.... but would be nice to visually verify what you are saying.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Think you could make a quick schematic for this? I think I follow, and it makes sense.... but would be nice to visually verify what you are saying.
interested too, that would help a little
Old 09-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i wired mine up this way....so when i turn on my parking lights the blinkers turn on n when i turn on my blinkers to turn the corner lights blink as well

http://youtu.be/ousjed3bS74
Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
U MAD? OH U MAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
i wired mine up this way....so when i turn on my parking lights the blinkers turn on n when i turn on my blinkers to turn the corner lights blink as well

Thats sick!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJALLDAY702 View Post
Thats sick!!!

thank you, thank you lol jk...i like it...i drive like that with my fogs when the sun starts to set then when its dark i just turn on my headlights
Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #18
cverneau is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cverneau's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
interested too, that would help a little
X3... I think I understand what to do, but would appreciate a quick hand drawn schematic....
Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #19
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJALLDAY702 View Post
Thats sick!!!
Here's the LINK to the write-up

It's #45 on the "Cheap/Free Mods" list found here.

And Schematic, if it links/shows

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...sJungleman.jpg

EDIT: And if you link all the way to Jungleman's write-up @ ToyotaNation,
heres the link to Danial Stern's site, he refers to. Good reading about lighting stuff

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

CC
Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #20
cverneau is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cverneau's Tacoma Gallery
Ok..so I had some time to play around with the wires today....

I have a 2011 with no DTRL at all. I did the mod that jumps the wire from the side markers. It makes the front blinker lights stay "on" but not ultra bright - so it's using the "low" element in the bulb. They only get brighter with the second "high" element when the turn signal is applied and they then blink (or alternate) from "low" to "high".

Here's my question:

When putting the DTRL's in using the relays as Toyota would do, you're obviously not using the third plug on the bulb and because of that, you're not using the "low" element of the bulb. Is this why some people have melting and bubbling lenses - because the relay turns the DTRL's on using the "high" element??
By jumping the wire, you're utilizing the "low" element (which otherwise will never be used), and even though the bulb gets hot, it will never get as hot a the "high" element being on all the time.

I also did the side/corner blinker mod as well (exactly as shown in the video above). I like the idea that people more to the sides can see where you'll be turning...
Before I forget - anyone with a 2011 that wants to do the side/corner blinker mod should note: The wire colors to cut and splice are different than the write-up mentioned here...