1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio lights flicker

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by sledneck, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Sep 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    sledneck

sledneck [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Northern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DC
    MBRP Stainless Duels, AFE CAI Stafe 2, lBilstein 5100's, 886's, smittybuilt Nerf Bars, UWS box, 6000K HID's, Grillcraft grille, Switchback LED signals and DTRL's, 20% tint,
    2011 TRD Sport, have DRL. I put Slim Cubby's HID and Switchback LED's in DRL and LED turn signals in rear as well. Not sure if one of those are the cause but when my headlights are off and the dimmer is not all the way up the radio lights flicker, if I turn headlights on they don't or if I turn the dimmer all the way bright they don't. Any ideas as to why this is happening or anyone already experience this?

Thanks

2. Sep 19, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    sledneck

Member:
    Northern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DC
    MBRP Stainless Duels, AFE CAI Stafe 2, lBilstein 5100's, 886's, smittybuilt Nerf Bars, UWS box, 6000K HID's, Grillcraft grille, Switchback LED signals and DTRL's, 20% tint,
    Anybody??

3. Sep 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    OK I'll take a stab at this.

Your dimmer switch is not a resistor per say.
    It's more of a pcm unit (Pulse code modulation.)
    so it kinda "TIMES" the amount of power that is on as a % per a given amount of time. If you turn back your dimmer you start to see the pulsation in rare cases.

As far as your situation I suppose it's possible your feeding back in your system and the dimmer module can't handle it.
    Or you could have a bad dimmer module but I don't think so.

The only thing you can do IMO is put it back the way it was and see if it resolves itself or just run the dimmer all the way up.
    The system was not designed to run with that type of lighting arrangements but i'm not a led/ hid guru.
    Once you start playing with stuff that isn't stock there's always a possibility of problems..

4. Sep 20, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    sledneck

Member:
    Northern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DC
    I agree once you go away from stock you run into things and have to deal with them or return to stock or use TacomaWorld to help find answers.
    I'm going to try a hyperflash mod tomorrow as I finally have a day off and see if that works, if not I return bulbs back to stock and as a process of elimination find out which one or ones is cause the problem of if it is the actual dimmer. Thanks for your reply.

5. Sep 24, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Your Welcome
    Let us know what you find out.

:D

Products Discussed in

To Top