Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Radio lights flicker

Old 09-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
sledneck is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: CBP
sledneck's Tacoma Gallery
Radio lights flicker

2011 TRD Sport, have DRL. I put Slim Cubby's HID and Switchback LED's in DRL and LED turn signals in rear as well. Not sure if one of those are the cause but when my headlights are off and the dimmer is not all the way up the radio lights flicker, if I turn headlights on they don't or if I turn the dimmer all the way bright they don't. Any ideas as to why this is happening or anyone already experience this?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
OK I'll take a stab at this.

Your dimmer switch is not a resistor per say.
It's more of a pcm unit (Pulse code modulation.)
so it kinda "TIMES" the amount of power that is on as a % per a given amount of time. If you turn back your dimmer you start to see the pulsation in rare cases.

As far as your situation I suppose it's possible your feeding back in your system and the dimmer module can't handle it.
Or you could have a bad dimmer module but I don't think so.

The only thing you can do IMO is put it back the way it was and see if it resolves itself or just run the dimmer all the way up.
The system was not designed to run with that type of lighting arrangements but i'm not a led/ hid guru.
Once you start playing with stuff that isn't stock there's always a possibility of problems..
Old 09-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
sledneck is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: CBP
sledneck's Tacoma Gallery
I agree once you go away from stock you run into things and have to deal with them or return to stock or use TacomaWorld to help find answers.
I'm going to try a hyperflash mod tomorrow as I finally have a day off and see if that works, if not I return bulbs back to stock and as a process of elimination find out which one or ones is cause the problem of if it is the actual dimmer. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:12 AM   #5
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck View Post
I agree once you go away from stock you run into things and have to deal with them or return to stock or use TacomaWorld to help find answers.
I'm going to try a hyperflash mod tomorrow as I finally have a day off and see if that works, if not I return bulbs back to stock and as a process of elimination find out which one or ones is cause the problem of if it is the actual dimmer. Thanks for your reply.
Your Welcome
Let us know what you find out.