Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hella 700 Strobe Lights

Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Hella 700 Strobe Lights

I just got my Hella 700s and mounted them on the light bar I made and went out to test them. They shook so much it looked like I had strobe lights on the front of my truck. The lights are mounted as solid as I can get them and the bar feels solid. When I push on the light bar the bumper moves a little. All of the bolts on the light bar and bumper are as tight as I can get them. Anyone else have this problem? Is it the brackets on the lights themselves? Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks
Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
bumpy road? Any pics of the light bar, it might not be as solid as you think. How's the truck ride in general, do your headlights seem to 'bounce' like the aftermarket lights do? If the headlights aren't bouncing then it could be something inside the light body itself rattling around, maybe the bulb isn't secured well. Just throwing a few ideas out there for you to think about

Nice title by the way, I thought you retrofitted Hella 700's for something like an emergency vehicle or something!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #3

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
A few pics. They aren't very good.

I bolted the bracket to the bottom of the bumper and to the bar behind and welded the bar to the brackets.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Mine wobble on my light bar too... Looking into solutions. I need more support somewhere, but I haven't found where yet.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
If the lights are mounted properly to the bar and you're getting vibration, either the lights themselves don't have a good mount or your light bar is not rigid enough.

I had a N-Fab on my 2009 with Lightforce 240's and had almost no vibration from them at all, unless I was hitting washboard roads or something.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma View Post
A few pics. They aren't very good.

I bolted the bracket to the bottom of the bumper and to the bar behind and welded the bar to the brackets.

You'll get a little spring from the bumper to the light bar because it's flat stock instead of something with a bend like angle iron but it shouldn't be that excessive I wouldn't think. Based on Memario's comment, it sounds like it's an issue with the Hella's themselves.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Damnit, what a missleading thread name! I had 4 of the hellas 500s and they would shake pretty bad on washboard roads.

Now go convert them into actual strobes!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
So are we saying that I neeto come up with a better mountig system for the hellas? That could be arranged...
Old 09-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #9

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I bought some star washers and put them on each side between the bracket and the light. The lights also tipped forward a little while driving and I think the washers will help that.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #11

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
So let us know if that helps anything
Will do. I have to wait until it gets dark.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #13

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I doubt that something like that is solution... But hope to hell that it is
Its not so much for the vibration. I was trying to stop the lights from angling down again.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma View Post
Its not so much for the vibration. I was trying to stop the lights from angling down again.
They shouldn't shift angle on you, sounds like they weren't tight enough to begin with. I've never had Hellas though either, all mine are PIAA .