Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

debating between 55W and 35W

Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
debating between 55W and 35W

Wanting to order some HID headlights. I am debating between 55W and 35W. I am wanting to run 5000k's but I am not sure which Watt light I should go, whats your opinion?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
diddy5584 is on a distinguished road
diddy5584's Tacoma Gallery
Just got the "slimcubby" hid group buy today and the 55's are extremely bright. there is a fairly significant difference between 35 watt and 55 I will try to take a pic for difference. My vote is that if you are even leaning towards 55's then go with those you arnt going to say I wish they were less bright but you will say I wish my 35's were brighter... Just my two pennies though. With all that said wait for slimcubby to offer a group buy and get them then he closed the sale on the 15th and i got them a week later plus extremely easy to install.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
the 35w watts HID kits in stock lenses are blinding enough to oncoming traffic, please go with 35w, 55w will be unfair and dangerous to everyone else, they really should be offraod only
Old 09-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
diddy5584 is on a distinguished road
diddy5584's Tacoma Gallery
I have adjusted my lights and have verified with multiple sports car drivers that they are not blinding. It is all adjustment. My brother is a mechanic and as long as the lights are not above 36" @ 10 ft. they will not blind the car in front. Follow the instructions on install and align your headlights. Bottom line get the light you want and be a responsible tacoma owner and adjust. It takes no more than 15 minutes. 35 watts will blind if they are not adjusted. Ive seen crvs that blind cause the lights are pointing up.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you need 55 watts then I suggest not driving at night.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy5584 View Post
Just got the "slimcubby" hid group buy today and the 55's are extremely bright. there is a fairly significant difference between 35 watt and 55 I will try to take a pic for difference. My vote is that if you are even leaning towards 55's then go with those you arnt going to say I wish they were less bright but you will say I wish my 35's were brighter... Just my two pennies though. With all that said wait for slimcubby to offer a group buy and get them then he closed the sale on the 15th and i got them a week later plus extremely easy to install.
exactly right. i ordered them already. 55W Hi/Lo beams and 35W fogs
Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
I saw a writeup on one of these forums about a guy making glare shields for his fogs out of aluminum foil and wire. I'll try find it....
Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
im looking at headlights right now, so do you guys recommend ddm over slim cubby? just the headlights, obviously i dont need fogs if you see my sig pic haha, is 55W really overkill?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Yes its overkill.

DDM is shit for customer service......do a quick search if ya want.

Slim has great customer service.

Why not a morimoto retrofit?
ok, i was just thinking of DDM since they are 15 minutes from my house and the lifetime warranty sounds awesome to me.. ill keep searching though
i cant afford it right now, i have two sets of HIDs that im selling right now, both are 35W 8K, i want 5Ks now

product wise, how do the two companies compare?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
Quote:
Dude, I'm sorry didn't know u was close enuff to pickup....

When they work, they work fine.....if u can drop by and do a person to person exchange, it should be ok.

Phone and internet service is shit from ddm, but face to face u may be just fine.

Ppl who have working one love em.
haha no worries, sounds good then, ill probably go with them because of the warranty bonus. any other big companies that i should consider as well?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
yeap im gonna go with the 5Ks they seem like the most balanced color
Old 09-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
Quote:
Also remember.............above 35 watt and u generally shorten lifespan on bulbs, u wash out the color slightly, and alll hids colorshift after a decent amount of use, so they should be replaced in pairs if possible, or u may have two "labeled" 5000K bulbs, but 1 looks lighter than the other.
i see, i really love having the brightest lights on the road so im still debating on 35 or 55, tomorrow im going to get the details from DDM about the warranty but if the bulbs go out shouldnt they replace them? it is "lifetime" not "limited lifetime"
Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #14
Quote:
Not sure, never ran ddm.

Never ran hids out of service either :-)

I'm content for now, minus the fog light glare.. sadly an oncoming heep kept his brights on...I flashed him with stock high beams.....no reaction.....then I flipped the genesis for a second and he turned his brights off..

People just don't have consideration sometimes on the road, its sad.
yeah i hate when people drive with their high beam HIDs or dont adjust them to be lower, dark window tint FTW i feel like i would annoy alot of people with the 55W kit even though my headlights are adjusted all the way down right now
Old 09-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
35watt 4300-6000K
Sometimes people end up aiming them down so theres only a small amount of scatter in oncoming traffics eyes which is nice to see..........BUUUUUT, sometimes to get the that low, ur sacrificing distance, and destroying ur night vision due to soooo much light be concentrated directly in front of the truck causing ur pupils to constrict.

Ur vision down the road is not as good.........Sure the part of the road thats lit is bright as all hell, but u gotta be careful.

Again, please look into projectors..............Id hate to see u smash the front of ur truck because u didnt see the deer in the distance because ur headlights were aimed soo low.

It happens...........Hopefully ur all set and it never happens, but either way, be careful.

also, as I have said before.............remember all HID setups put into a vehicle that was not supplied with factory HID lighting is illegal (federal law IIRC)....And u can be held responsible if ur lights cause a driver to be temp blinded and he/she gets into an accident.
This is all correct. The only thing I'd add is no amount of adjustment will tune out the glare.

If you've only "checked for glare" in town, the effects are compounded severely when you're out of the range of city lights.

You could blind someone on a back road and cause an accident.

There's really no way to be a "responsible" person on the roads with HID conversions. HID bulbs need housings designed for them.

Off road only lights for use on trails? Go crazy!