Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Additional Lights for my Leer Shell

Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
RockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really nice

RockLobster1106's Tacoma Gallery
Additional Lights for my Leer Shell

The one light that is in my leer shell is super weak, I was thinking of switching that bulb out to led and maybe putting two light strips on either side of the shell to make visibility in the dark, when I need to look in the back of my truck, easier. If I get light strips can I tap them to the existing light in the shell to have it work with that one switch and not have to run other wires? thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
Forever at a crossroads
09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mylene
09_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster1106 View Post
The one light that is in my leer shell is super weak, I was thinking of switching that bulb out to led and maybe putting two light strips on either side of the shell to make visibility in the dark, when I need to look in the back of my truck, easier. If I get light strips can I tap them to the existing light in the shell to have it work with that one switch and not have to run other wires? thanks

I may be wrong but I highly doubt your OEM wire for the dome light will have a big enough gauge to power it plus two light strips.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09_tacoma View Post
I may be wrong but I highly doubt your OEM wire for the dome light will have a big enough gauge to power it plus two light strips.
If he swaps out the dome light for an LED and uses 2 LED strips, he might be alright. LED's don't have much draw. To be safe, I'd figure out how much draw you have not and how much you'd add with the light strips to be sure. Plus, it all depends on how you wired your shell. If it comes from the battery, you'll have plenty of power just make sure the wiring and fuse are large enough. Mine is wired off the parking lights so I've got to be careful what I add to the circuit.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
RockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really nice

RockLobster1106's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If he swaps out the dome light for an LED and uses 2 LED strips, he might be alright. LED's don't have much draw. To be safe, I'd figure out how much draw you have not and how much you'd add with the light strips to be sure. Plus, it all depends on how you wired your shell. If it comes from the battery, you'll have plenty of power just make sure the wiring and fuse are large enough. Mine is wired off the parking lights so I've got to be careful what I add to the circuit.
I am going to go with a new led bulb first and see if I have enough light. If not I might go with a light strip. I believe it is wired to the battery because I can have it on without having to have the lights or car on.