1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hella 4000 Beam Pattern Choices

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DDD, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Sep 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    DDD

DDD [OP] Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I am trying to decide which Hella 4000s to get. I already have a light bar with 2 Hella 500s with 55W HID conversion. I am going to add 2 Hella 4000s and convert them to 55W HID also.

The Hella 4000 options are:

Euro Beam
    Fog Light
    Pencil Beam
    Cornering Beam

Below is a diagram I found on this site.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rallye 4000 Euro Beam

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rallye 4000 Fog Lamp

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rallye 4000 Cornering Beam

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rallye 4000 Pencil Beam

My 2 Hella 500s are more of a directional spot light. At about 50 yards they keep a pretty tight beam. So I am leaning towards Cornering beam because its a wide pattern and reaches out to 200 meters. i find that the pencil beams will be useless on a trail with tight turns. Even now the Hella 500s are not very helpful on a trail. I will be doing mostly trail driving, some rock crawling, so I won't be traveling very fast. I want to be able to see everything clearly within 100 yards.

Does anyone have the Cornering beam, how do you like them? Will the euro beam give me a wide enough pattern?

2. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I have the pencil (spot) beam 4000s and recently converted the 100 watt halogen bulbs to 35 watt HID (5000K). There is a thread I made on it here on TW Lighting forum.

Pencil beams (a pair) will light no more wide than the width of a 2 lane road, but FAR down it... So, I suggest only using them if you also have a pair of driving beams (aka euro beams)... which light up more area, much like your high beams, but brighter.

The ultimate would be 6 lamps: 2 pencils, 2 euros, 2 fogs or cornering... For up close/ wide... mid range wide... and far range narrow.

3. Oct 1, 2011 at 3:39 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Fog or the wide cornering pattern would be best for tighter/switchback trails.The wider the better in this case.As far as maybe using the Euro/combo light pattern,the second part of that combo is spot.You all ready have distance w/the 500's.No good for what your looking for.

4. Oct 5, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    DDD

DDD [OP] Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    BUMP.

Anyone here actually have the cornering beams?

5. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The conering pattern and photo you show looks awesome... please get that and show us how they work!

6. Oct 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Perhaps one of each? Seems like most of the lightbars for these trucks are good for 3 lights, four is pretty crowded looking.

I am planning on a pair of euro beams when I get the money.

7. Oct 8, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    If just one pair, the driving (euro) beams on a bar or bumper would be best... The best place for fog beams is low, below the bumper, so that is where 2 of the 6 would go... leaving room for 4 on the bar.... the 2 driving and 2 spot beams. Even better are spots on on the roof.

Anyway... some are better than none!

Products Discussed in

To Top