Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Headlight Keeps Blowing

Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
For the Retards, Im a Female
ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ToyTaco
Headlight Keeps Blowing

I have a 2010 tacoma (i bought new) that in Feb of this year I installed the 1st gen Projector headlights in, since then i have replaced the H1 bulb on the driver side three times and now on my 4th. Any ideas of why it might be blowing? It appears the filament in the bulb is still intact but the bottom of the bulb seems to be burnt in a sense.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Are you touching the bulb with your fingers when you install it?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
are the bulbs at a high rating then what the truck calls for ? That or vibrations may cause power surge this being rare but possible.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Are you touching the bulb with your fingers when you install it?
nope i use rubber gloves and clean them with rubbing alcohol before installing them every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonstah View Post
are the bulbs at a high rating then what the truck calls for ? That or vibrations may cause power surge this being rare but possible.
I know the first set i used was the H1 sylvania (sp?) bulbs and then this time it was a different brand. I believe the general watts for those H1 bulbs are 55. All I know is those headlights call for an H1 bulb i dont know if another type of bulb would fit those?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Any water in the headlight housing? Also, does the bulb seat into the housing nice and snug? If not, it could be vibration as someone else mentioned.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #6

ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Any water in the headlight housing? Also, does the bulb seat into the housing nice and snug? If not, it could be vibration as someone else mentioned.
ive had them fog up every once in a rare while but its not the whole headlight. I will check out the vibration thing when i go to change the bulb out. Im definitely getting tired of buying 30$+ bulbs every few months
Old 10-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #7

ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
well we did some volt testing on the headlight last night and came to find out it was a blown fuse, which i was kind of surprised since the truck is "newish". Is there any thoughts around that i might need to up the fuse from a 10 to higher to compensate for the lights?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
A 10 amp fuse should be fine for a 55W bulb. It should only use 4.5A.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #9

ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A 10 amp fuse should be fine for a 55W bulb. It should only use 4.5A.
well i think my bull bar lights might run to the same fuse as my headlights so they might be getting over loaded
Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #10

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTaco View Post
well i think my bull bar lights might run to the same fuse as my headlights so they might be getting over loaded
That's a big possibility. What is their wattage? Are they on with the headlights?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Rewire your bull bar lights correctly. They should not pull power from the headlight circuit. The headlight circuit should only be the jumper to trigger a relay and the lights themselves should have their own fused power.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #12

ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's a big possibility. What is their wattage? Are they on with the headlights?
tell you the truth im not sure I would have to look it up. the bull bar was bought from the dealership after i bought the truck and installed so i didnt research it before hand. They have their own switch to turn on and off, but if they are on and I turn off the headlights they will automatically turned off

Quote:
Rewire your bull bar lights correctly. They should not pull power from the headlight circuit. The headlight circuit should only be the jumper to trigger a relay and the lights themselves should have their own fused power.
I would have to see how they are wired, i did not do the install myself
Old 10-07-2011, 06:08 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
tell you the truth im not sure I would have to look it up. the bull bar was bought from the dealership after i bought the truck and installed so i didnt research it before hand. They have their own switch to turn on and off, but if they are on and I turn off the headlights they will automatically turned off
I would check the wiring of them. The lights on the bull bar tap into the headlight circuit somewhere so you'd have to trace some wires. The simpliest method would be to start at the bull bar lights and trace the wires back. The 'hot' wire for the bull bar lights goes directly from the lights to the headlight wire, then that's your problem. They should not be taking power directly from that circuit. The hot wire should go back to a relay instead. Just because the lights turn off with the headlights doesn't necessarily mean they're pulling power from the headlights. Mine do the same thing, just a nice safety feature so you can't kill your battery.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #14

ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would check the wiring of them. The lights on the bull bar tap into the headlight circuit somewhere so you'd have to trace some wires. The simpliest method would be to start at the bull bar lights and trace the wires back. The 'hot' wire for the bull bar lights goes directly from the lights to the headlight wire, then that's your problem. They should not be taking power directly from that circuit. The hot wire should go back to a relay instead. Just because the lights turn off with the headlights doesn't necessarily mean they're pulling power from the headlights. Mine do the same thing, just a nice safety feature so you can't kill your battery.
thanks i appreciate that info. didnt have this problem till I stuck those headlights in and started blowing bulbs left and right. They are a pain in my butt that this point.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
YotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FMC 25th BSB
Name: Brian
YotaMan2007's Tacoma Gallery
well i keep having my drivers side headlight bulb blow also, but they are the factory assembly. I put in the Silverstar ultrassince they are bright like HIDs. i had my second one blow last night on my way home through South Carolina. things got really dark.