Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

problem with instrument cluster mod

Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
nuckin futs member
RIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stefan
RIDDICK3's Tacoma Gallery
problem with instrument cluster mod

Here is my problem, so I did the instrument cluster mod over the weekend and all the lights turn on great. but when I am driving my mph gauge will flicker a bit. when push in on the plastic it goes off and let go it turns back on. can anyone help me?
Attached Thumbnails
problem with instrument cluster mod-cluster.jpg  
Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
You have a loose connection. Check all of your connections.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
nuckin futs member
RIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have twice and it still does it do you think that some of the leds are loose or somethin?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
One of your LEDs in that cluster is loose the soder on one side is not making a good connection. Remove and redo them. I suggest holding them down when redo feeing them.

Not the solder making a good connection one of the leeds is not.m if one does not work in a cluster they all won't.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
nuckin futs member

Really awesome I will give that a try, thanks for your input hope it works
Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
nuckin futs member

ok so I took them off and did them again and now they won't even turn on wtf am I doing wrong?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDDICK3 View Post
ok so I took them off and did them again and now they won't even turn on wtf am I doing wrong?
Did u make sure theyre all facing the correct way(polarity wise) or if one isn't properly soldered on none will turn on
Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDDICK3 View Post
if they were working intermittently and all you did is touch up the soldering then most likely you damaged a LED during soldering. LEDs can be pretty temperamental with heat. Do you have a digital meter by any chance?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
nuckin futs member

no I don't and i took them off and redid them with different led's and its still not working and now my rpms aren't working. and yes they are all facing the right direction.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
I know this thread is old...but I ran into this problem and this might help someone in the future...i found out that these LED get fucked up easily if you leave the soldering tip (heat) for too long..i burnt like 15 of these when I did my swap. I was soldering all the LED's then going to the truck and connecting it..and hoping they would work...if one doesn't work in a certain area...none of them work..then I found this:

You can test them before and after you solder them on...so if you fucked it up, test them...and leave the ones that work on...and replace the burnt ones...what worked for me was soldering them on quickly...no matter how they looked....let them cool for a few...and then adjust them quickly..hope this helps!