Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Ben's FX-R Retrofit-

Old 10-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #21
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
you might get some pm's from me when i start my retro. looking good so far man.
Bob, I will totally help you as I completely know how tedious this art project is! Stay tuned on this thread and you'll be able to watch the process. Half the battle is already in your hands as you're familiar with the wiring, how to remove the lights, etc. All you're going to do is cut and aim which is probably the hardest part.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #22
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
that sucks on the bulb, assuming that they are shipping you a new one. My order shipped today on the latest group buy......I am going to be baking my stock oems later this week and get to painting etc...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #24
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
It could be the lense. I have a bad hot spot but it's because my lense was defective. I haven't had a chance to get back to Andrew(TRS) but I hope TI have it fixed soon.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #25
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstr View Post
It could be the lense. I have a bad hot spot but it's because my lense was defective. I haven't had a chance to get back to Andrew(TRS) but I hope TI have it fixed soon.
bitch isn't it? Never thought it could be the lense. The entire ordeal has been sort of a mess, I bought ebay lights, and ended up using my smoked 09 lenses w/ the black ebay bezel which sort of defeated the whole purpose. I had leaking issues w/ the ebay lights and decided to screw them and stick w/ the toyota part.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #26
Don't Tread On Me
08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of

Navy: US NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC
Name: Adam
08PRELB's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sick Ben, your passenger side rotation looks a little off but nice work getting them done!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #27
RN

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08PRELB View Post
Looks sick Ben, your passenger side rotation looks a little off but nice work getting them done!
Thanks friend. You are probably right that it's a hair length off, but it's pretty much spot on. I've adjusted the lights since that pic... just don't have updated ones. You know, it's probably my lens throwing that hotspot. My plug-n-play philips bulb burned inside the housing and smoked them from within, that could be a possible reason. The other is that one of my D2S bulbs were bad and burned inside the projector (I have great luck with lights). At this point I'm just like, 'screw it.' On the road you don't really notice the hotspot unless you pull up against a wall, otherwise it's fine.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #29
RN

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Did your shrouds fit flosh to the reflector bowl?

Do the 4 screw tabs of the projector touch the reflector bowl?
They do not sit completely flush. To notice you'd have to stick your face right up to the light though...
Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #30
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Thats what I thought. I need to go and get some 1 in ss bolts. The 2 in bolts are a little long on one side.

So far so good for me. I just need to take my time. I went with a 2 3/4 in hole saw to make the initial hole in the reflector. Seems to be working alright.

I have a feeling that the final adjustment will be a PITA.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #31
RN

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Thats what I thought. I need to go and get some 1 in ss bolts. The 2 in bolts are a little long on one side.

So far so good for me. I just need to take my time. I went with a 2 3/4 in hole saw to make the initial hole in the reflector. Seems to be working alright.

I have a feeling that the final adjustment will be a PITA.
Not sure what you made the hole in the reflector bowl with, but you can cut your 2 3/4 bolts with a dremel and cut off wheel. In fact, you'll need to cut them all the way down anyway so you can fully adjust the light with the stock adjustment tabs.

The hole for the projector doesn't need to be exact, in fact it doesn't matter all that much. It's how you adjust the projector with the screws that matters more.

Yes, take your time no rush here. To aim them go against a wall at night and adjust the screws and move the projector around. The projector should be aimed slightly downward. When you get to a desired position cold tack weld the projector with KB kwik weld. Only need a few dabs on the back. This is a tricky part as it's hard to reach behind the light to glue it. Let it dry and then remove the light. I used the lines in the reflector bowl to make sure it was horizontally straight. Eye ball that part... I need to show more pictures of my cut off, only thing is you'll see more of my annoying hotspot I think it's the lens.. need to change that out.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
Just call me Daddy
TacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
TacoDaddy's Tacoma Gallery
what did you use to cut the hole that big? I've been trying to use my dremel and its a huge pain in the ass!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #34
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaddy View Post
what did you use to cut the hole that big? I've been trying to use my dremel and its a huge pain in the ass!!!
I used a Milwaukee 2 3/4 in metal hole saw. I think a 3" hole saw will put the HID lamp and connector too close to the battery. Just take it easy and use very light pressure when drilling the hole. I did take off the two extrusion on the reflector prior to drilling the hole.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #35
Taco89 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nik
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Is it required to drill 4 holes and screw the projector into the bowl??
Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #36
Taco89 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nik
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Just answered my own question after looking at my projectors lol...what size screws do y'all recommend?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #37
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Op I have some questions as I intend to do my own retrofit very soon

For the FX R u have to mount it on the reflector bowl with 4 long screws with a washer and nut to hold it in place and jb weld it

And for the aiming adjustment it is all made by moving the projector and adjusting the tightness of the 4 screws. (In other words, the factory bolt adjustment is useless after retrofitting?)

Also while ur doing the aiming, the lights will be on the car and u have to adjust the projector and screws to the desire height then jb weld it to make it unmovable?