Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Ben's FX-R Retrofit-

Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Ben's FX-R Retrofit-

Got sick of blinding people with the plug-n-play 6500k HID's from Xenon depot so when my philips bulbs burned out after a year (weak sauce ) I upgraded to the FX-R's with 5000k morimoto's, and 35w ballasts from xenondepot.
Started my retrofit today, tell me what you guys think and please add your impute. I've read a lot and looked at tons of pics from all you guys, thank you much by the way. Whoever can do this in 6 hrs, well, you're awesome . This is my first retrofit and honestly I'm a bit nervous cutting my lights and roasting them in the oven like a turkey.

1)Not entirely sure what I should re-seal the lights with. When done should I just put the lights back in the oven, reheat the black silicone material on the ebay lights and smash them together with alligator clips? Or reheat the lights, remove all the black silicone (bitch of a job) junk and put in a bead of 3M Window Seal. What'cha think?
Pick of the lights w/ the black seal.

2) Is the whole big enough/too small? When I put the Gatling shroud over the projector there seems to be a lot of space between the shroud and the reflector. From what I've read, most are trimming the shroud... why? From what I can tell it clears everything. Also the bottom mounts for the screws show, is that cool? Thought the shroud was supposed to cover it.
Hole

Space, is that too much space between the shroud and reflector?
more pics of the space

Rear housing:

Lastly, when I mount the four 8-32 screws with washers and bolts, how exactly do I make sure the they are mounted horizontally straight. Eye ball it and line them up best I can w/ the lines on the reflector housing? I dunno if you get what I'm saying, but thanks anyways gents.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Don't Tread On Me
08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of

Navy: US NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC
Name: Adam
08PRELB's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin good man!

1. You can just reheat the lights and put them back together. After they cool down you can run a beed of silicone around the outside edge of the lights to make sure you have a good seal.

2. The hole looks plenty big... As for the shroud I trimmed the inner ring so it would sit down further on the projector and on each corner ware the mounting screw sits.

3. To get the projectors horizontally level first you will have to eyeball it to get it as close as possible. Then you will have to mount them on your truck and plug every thing in and turn them on to make sure the cut off line is perfictally horizontal.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
^Thanks Adam, you're the man.
I see you what you mean by trimming the shroud so it sits further. TRS provided spacers with the kit, so i'll start by removing the spacers and trimming away. Awesome! Getting excited to finish this up. I think I'll leave the housing chrome. Love the blacked out look though.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
can't wait to see this finished, i plan on doing mine over a weekend as soon as i get mine in, curious for how long it takes you. lookin good so far man. your kit came with a power lead right ? and what are sealing the back of your housing when mounted?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
RN

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
can't wait to see this finished, i plan on doing mine over a weekend as soon as i get mine in, curious for how long it takes you. lookin good so far man. your kit came with a power lead right ? and what are sealing the back of your housing when mounted?
Thanks
Honestly, it's gonna take me pretty long since I work on it between school and work when I have the time. If I had a complete weekend to devote it would be possible.

Power lead? You mean the two wires coming off the projector that actuate the cut off shield for the high beam? If so, yes the projector comes with them pre-installed

I'll be using JB weld to seal the rear housing and bolts once everything is aimed.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
RN

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
sweet...........The worst thing u can do to screw up ur hard work is to rush.

I took a few days..........as for the goop, I used brand new factory 2010 smoked lights, and baked em......pulled apart (gray goop IIRC), and just laid a bead of 3m window weld butyl tape in the crevice of the housing along with existing goop.

Just pull the butyl window weld tape like taffy to the desired thickness, and push into housing valley......Then I clamped them, alligator type AND the quick grip type ALSO for extra clamp/squish/seal force.

Immediately set oven to temp, let it heat up, turned off, set cardboard on rack, and inserted 1 light housing for 15ish minutes....Took it out, reset oven to temp and while waiting for oven to heat back up, I re adjusted the clamps and pushed the light housing together by hand more (with welding gloves), then pushed a bead of the butyl tape into the surrounding gaps of the housing. Then re heated the same light, took it out, pushed together again by hand, re adjusted clamps and let sit clamped for 24hrs.

I did this for both lights obviously.......then sealed with GE siliconeII around the edges/seams (clear GE silicone II).......gave that 24hrs to dry/offgass before I put ANY bulbs in. I didnt want any haze from the fumes to be trapped.

Overkill, you bet ur ass........... dry as a bone, u bet.

I made mine for myself, and wanted no issues, and used a dedicated 2nd set of lights (like u are doing) and took my time.

Very very shortly after, I needed money and had to sell them.

They were gone in about 4hrs, and I got a very very good price for them, but fair for the buyer IMHO, since he got brand new factory smoked housings, FX/R projectors, 2 sets of real phillips 4300K bulbs ($100 per pair IIRC), brand new morimoto 35 watt ballasts, brand new harness, and never had to do any work................

Until USPS DESTROYED 1 in transit.

gotta say, welding gloves worked great for handling hot parts, and while prying the lights apart, they kept my hands cool, free of goop, didnt kill my dexterity too bad, and I felt like a man carrying the hot lights out to the garage using welding gloves instead of pot holders

quick grips

Good info! The guy probably would still need to work by pulling the lights apart and cutting the whole for the projectors, no? Or did you already have an existing hole? Window weld + Clear seal on outside... sounds like a good idea. That sucks UPS destroyed your hard work, I'd be pissed!

Plan for today: pick up JB weld, window weld and clear seal, drill holes, find a wall and start aiming then trim the shroud.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
looking good man, im just waiting on parts now

i went with the MCR though, i want the LEDS
Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
^You can do it, I believe in you!
wont be my first ever retrofit

first on a tacoma though

chevy cobalts sure made some awesome lights retrofitted
Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post

Made some progress today. Scratched the reflector housing while moving the projector around but otherwise it seems to coming out okay.

Anybody use lamin X on the headlights? I noticed my OEM set showed some damage after a few years.
What washers are these? Did they come with the kit? I only ask because I've see others use "finishing washers" that look like this:

I was thinking about the lamin x or 3M clear tape to protect these lights after putting mine on. Good idea
Old 10-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
4x4Tacoma01 has a spectacular aura about4x4Tacoma01 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Holly
4x4Tacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4x4Tacoma01
This is coming along great!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good
Old 10-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
RN

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
What washers are these? Did they come with the kit? I only ask because I've see others use "finishing washers" that look like this:

I was thinking about the lamin x or 3M clear tape to protect these lights after putting mine on. Good idea
I bought the washers and bolts from home depot as the kit does not come with hardware. They are 8-32 size bolts and I wanted washers that wouldn't 'dig' into the plastic so I chose neoprene, the ones featured with the soft back. They seem to work pretty good.
I'm sure finishing washers would work fine to, just a preference of what you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Tacoma01 View Post
This is coming along great!
Thank you Holly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
Looking good
Thanks Brian, excited to be done with this project.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #16
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the source - now lets hope home depot has some in stock!
Old 10-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #17
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
nice retro! always better to take your time, do it right the first time
Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #20
RN

EMS:

That's right, that is SMOKE spewing from the morimoto 5k D2S bulb... wtf... really... passenger side works great but this stupid bulb decided to commit suicide and internally com-bust into a smear of foul smelling polymer. When I received the package it was loose in the box so maybe that's why.

In the meantime, I went down to Ralphs to make sure my horizontal alignment was was within reasonable spec on the passenger side. Check it
I know its way high, I need to adjust the screws down and left, but horizontally the drilled holes look pretty good.

cyclopes, poor thing looks molested.

high beam...