Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hella Question

Old 10-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
sambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
sambojee's Tacoma Gallery
Hella Question

Ive got Hella 500ff...i think, but i have a relay that always goes out about every 3 months and i was wondering if u could just cut it out and spice the wires together? it should still work right? what r the risks? thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm no electrical expert but that does not sound like a good idea.

It sounds like something is not right if you have relays constantly going out. You should double check all your wiring.

Are you running all four of those lights through one relay?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you could do it that way I suppose. You'll be running the power through the switch. That happened to me this last fall because I didn't know any better. My switch failed and o found myself with a small fire in the cab... ALWAYS use a relay. If yours keeps going out, you're doing something wrong or you have the wrong relay
Old 10-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
sambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
sambojee's Tacoma Gallery
Well i figured out my problem and im going to just take it too an expert to have him do it the right way, he said everything looked fine but since my relay is in my engine bay its starts to corrode
Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
My relay is in the engine bay, and I don't see it corroding any time soon. What is it exactly that is corroding? And falling apart in in 3 mos? I'm certain that my weather conditions are harder on components than the central US... I'm just confused
Old 10-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
My relay is in the engine bay, and I don't see it corroding any time soon. What is it exactly that is corroding? And falling apart in in 3 mos? I'm certain that my weather conditions are harder on components than the central US... I'm just confused
X2

I hope somebody is not trying to take advantage of you.

Wiring these lights really is a simple job.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Some relays aren't meant to be exposed to the elements. If the OP bought a cheap one in an autoparts store that's meant to be in the cab, I'd bet 3 months in the engine bay would fry it. OP, that being said, it shouldn't take an expert to take out the old relay and replace it with a better one, that's a 5 minute job unless you found something else wrong...