1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Accessory lighting advice for 2004 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by munkel, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Oct 12, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    munkel

munkel [OP] fka unregistered lurker...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Dbl Cab V6 4WD Tacoma
    Icon Suspension, 285/75/16 BFG MT's, Steeeckers, Custom Bed Mounted Tool Storage, Wilderness Trail rack, SoftTopper, K&N CAI, Hella Aux lights, PIAA Fogs, Warn M8000, Elite Front Bumper, BAMF sliders, All-Pro leafs and shackles
    I am putting a rack on my canopy and installing 2 Hella 70mm lights facing towards the back for back up lights. I intend on having them turn on when the truck is in reverse and when I flip a switch on the dash.

I also want to put two more on the front of the canopy rack, one facing each way that can be independently turned on for lighting on the sides for work/setting up camp etc. Again this will require two more switches in the dash.

Lastly I want to install two lights behind the mesh grill I have, maybe Hella FF500's. Add one more switch for this. Hopefully I can use them for driving lights when aimed properly. My headlights are horrible during the winter, even with HID dropins. Maybe fogs would be better, thoughts?

The switches I plan on getting are the carling ones from here. I would like to mount them with a plate like this from Dirty Parts.

OK, so here is the questions:

The 70mm lights don't come with switches, wiring or relays. Other than the switches which I have picked what do I need? What's the best gauge wire for this project? I would prefer to be able to turn on the lights even when the key is not in the truck.

Do I need an accessory fuse panel/block for all this?

Any thoughts on using the FF500's in the city for driving at night? Especially in the winter my headlights don't cut it. I do not want to blind other drivers though. Maybe fogs would be a better idea for city driving?

Any other thoughts as to different switch mounts or suggestions to make this work smoother?

Thanks in advance,

Mike (electrical noob)

Products Discussed in

To Top