Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

No More Foggy Headlamps!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Talking No More Foggy Headlamps!!!

So I had some extra time at work today and after washing & waxing the Tacoma I was staring at my headlamps and was disappointed by the fogginess. So I talked to our paint/body guy and he showed my how to do it. Just got some very fine sand paper and wet sanded the lenses by hand. Then used a power buffer and some buffing compound from Meguiars. Very happy with the results. Took about 10 mins. Been needing to do this for over a year, should have done it sooner.

Before:

After:

My advice on this would be to do the headlamps before the wash. I had to re-wash the front end after I was done with them.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
nice work. mine still good but will do as you did when I need it.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
what grit did you wind up going with. planning on washing tomorrow and this needs to get done on my truck as well
Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. I've seen many Tacomas with headlights in need of some TLC. Good call doing it now.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr114 View Post
what grit did you wind up going with. planning on washing tomorrow and this needs to get done on my truck as well
To be honest I don't know the exact grit. It was VERY soft and smooth. Didn't really feel like sandpaper at all. And you don't have to worry about messing up the body/paint around the lens the sandpaper is way to soft to hurt it.

Edit: I googled and found this video. Says 1600 or 600. I think it depends on how bad the fogging is.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2327659_he...sandpaper.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_2327662_he...sandpaper.html
Old 10-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
So like a 1500 or 2000 grit?
Old 10-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
I need to do this... looks sharp.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
So like a 1500 or 2000 grit?
I was just editing my above post. Yeah, 1500 or 2000 should work. Just depends on the severity of the fogginess.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #9

Thanks guys for the positive feed back. I'm VERY happy with the results. Kind of disappointed with myself for waiting for so long to do it. The headlamps were like this when I bought it last year.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott572011 View Post
could possibility be a wet paper what color was the paper?
It was a very light green color.