Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Retrofit Question

Old 10-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
TKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TKY's Tacoma Gallery
Retrofit Question

I'm currently removing the existing sealant and it is nightmarish. I'm using aftermarket headlights from Amazon and they have a ton of sealant in them. Thus far it seems like it's going to take several cycles in the oven to even make a dent, and I'd like to subject them to as little heat as possible.

How "clean" are you guys getting the housing before adding the new butyl?

Any tips/tricks for removing the sealant that I might have missed?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
check viet2100's retrofit post or the bhlm how to it basically lists the steps and temps that you should be safe subjecting your lights to.

also the oven method is not the best even though it's the most common. after talking with bjorn from custom lightz he made it very clear that this can weaken the plastic on the housing as they where never designed to be exposed to those temps's in the first place basically it can make them brittle.

what are you retrofitting with btw?

my advice is to use a heat gun carefully and a small flat head the size of the channel in the head light housing and scrape that shit out the cleaner the better then take the roll of butyl rubber and stretch it out ever so slightly as in this case a little being pushed out of the edges is actually a good thing.

check trs.com for oem butyl rubber it's much better than the 3m shit at pepboy's

good luck and post up some pics of your new set-up
Old 10-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
there is absolutely no reason to remove the original sealant from the lights. If anything you add some if needed.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
4x4Tacoma01 has a spectacular aura about4x4Tacoma01 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Holly
4x4Tacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4x4Tacoma01
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
there is absolutely no reason to remove the original sealant from the lights. If anything you add some if needed.
exactly! I never removed mine either..
Old 10-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
TKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TKY's Tacoma Gallery
-I'm using a D2S kit from TRS.
-I used viet's BHLM write up to open the headlight housings.

I may try a heatgun for a bit, as I really don't want to subject the headlights to repeated trips to the oven.

Hmm, as clean as possible, or leave it all?!?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I removed all of it and used window weld when i put them back together. No issues
Old 10-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
TKY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
I removed all of it and used window weld when i put them back together. No issues
Did you use a heatgun, oven(how many times), etc.?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKY View Post
Did you use a heatgun, oven(how many times), etc.?
I used the oven. I went with veit's write up
Old 10-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
TKY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
I used the oven. I went with veit's write up
Did you get it all off in one attempt?
Old 10-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKY View Post
Did you get it all off in one attempt?
Well I didn't get all of it but I got as much as I could