Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Instrument cluster dash lights not working

Old 10-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Joe02TRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
Joe02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Instrument cluster dash lights not working

Need help....Just picked up my 02 Tacoma last week, dash lights do not come on. I've checked both fuses and they're both good, pulled the cluster out and put in new 194 bulbs in place of the stock ones with the orange covers and still no luck. My hvac and radio lights come on and dim with the switch and every other light works except the dash lights at night. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
after market radio?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Try another Headlight switch.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

stock radio and everything else works, every single light except 4 dash illumination bulbs so the switch seems to be working..?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe02TRD View Post
stock radio and everything else works, every single light except 4 dash illumination bulbs so the switch seems to be working..?
Sounds right to me.

You need to make sure you have power at the connector to the instrument cluster. Sounds like a possible open wire.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

I just printed the service manual wiring diagram for the cluster, I'm going to pull it out again tomorrow. Anyone know what the "bulb check relay" shown on the cluster is/does or how to test it?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
i know this may sound crazy... but being careful not to break anything... give the face of the gauges a couple solid tap with your fingers (light but firm)... see if any lights flicker or change.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #8

haha ... will do tomorrow
Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
i know this may sound crazy... but being careful not to break anything... give the face of the gauges a couple solid tap with your fingers (light but firm)... see if any lights flicker or change.
That is actually good advice. I test a lot of electrical parts on cars that way. It's what we call "the good ol tap test" at the shop I work in.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #10

thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I plan on digging into it tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
curious one is on a distinguished road
curious one's Tacoma Gallery
solution?

I'm having the exact same problem with my 'new' '02 Tacoma. Did you ever find a solution?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Recker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Recker
Recker's Tacoma Gallery
Me too! In my 07, there is an aftermarket stereo.... Fuses are all good, I've been too chicken to take the dash apart LOL
Linda
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
curious one is on a distinguished road
curious one's Tacoma Gallery
Well, my solution turned out to be pretty simple; the bulbs were bad. All of them. I figured the chances of them all going bad simultaneously was pretty slim, so I thought there must be a bad ground or something. Maybe the previous owner drove around watching them go out one by one, then traded it in for something else
Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
Recker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Recker
Recker's Tacoma Gallery
Humm I'll have to check that out. I figured like you, chances were slim that all the lights would be bad. Maybe it would be a good time to do one of those awesome dash light mods!! I'll report back when I figure mine out. Thanks!
Linda