1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen led turn signals walk through...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by stunt man hans, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Oct 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans [OP] DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    first let me start off by saying this mod is for 2nd gen tacomas without dtrl's.

further more viet2100 is the guy who found out about this flasher module and that it works on 2nd gen tacomas. he did the research/leg work to make sure this was a solution to the dreaded hyper blinking associated with led turn signals. thanks viet for the help :D

heres where it gets interesting... the tacoma has 2 different flashers if your truck has factory day time running lights then you have a 12 pin flasher module that is black in color and it's located on the right side of the interior fuse panel.

if your truck does not have dtrl's your flasher module is an 8 pin design. this module is located on the back side of the interior fuse panel and this is the flasher i replaced.
    viet2100 posted in another thread regarding the flasher he used model number CF18-04 from v-leds i believe. when and if they come back in stock this model will absolutely work as well for 8 pin taco's.

unfortunetly when i first started this mod myself i was under the impression that all tacomas had a 12 pin flasher. i searched for like 4 day's for one that would work. the only 12 pin led flasher i was able to find was for a cadillac lol. i never got to see however if the pin layout matches the 12 pin flasher in the tacoma but, it may work for our trucks. i found that one at napa auto parts and i'm sure some where else carries it as it seems to be a direct oem replacement part for caddies.

so back to the 8 pin module. the flasher viet posted was out of stock so i had to search for mine. i ended up at superbrightleds.com and found this.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/CF18-08.html

this flasher is the one i installed. it has the same pin layout snapped right in and works great. my truck due to the arb bull bar has 6 in total leds for the turn signals and it works fine both with the hazards and the turn signals no hyper blink and a nice clicking sound from the flasher a little quiter than the stock one but, still noticeable at speed which is a nice feature! some of the modules do not emit an audible report when the turn signal is activated so check up on this before purchasing your flasher module.

the gray 8 pin flasher is located on the back side of the interior fuse panel it also has a tab that imo is a pain in the ass hole!:mad: be very gentle get a very short small flat head screwdriver and gently push it into the clip and gently pry up the tab securing the flasher in place and wiggle it free then just pop in the new one after you install your bulbs and you should be done.

the bulbs i used where putco 360 degree premium leds. they are as bright as stock in direct sunlight and at night they are imo brighter than any filament bulb i have seen. i used 3157 amber leds for the stock locations both front and rear Amazon has them at a decent price. in the arb i ended up using an 1157 bayonet style bulb. 2 white for the running lights which looks awesome in person very bright at night they are almost like fog lights lol!! and 2 amber ones for the signal bulbs.

one more thing the "technical person" at superbrightleds.com told me that this flasher could in fact handle the 6 leds with no problems. he actually went as far as to say that it could do 6 or 8 filament bulbs as well. so if you ever decided to change back to regular filament style bulb you shouldn't have to change the flasher module back to the stock one.

thanks again go to members of tw and viet2100 for doing the research for us all and i hope someone finds this post useful. all of the info i needed was scattered around tacoma world in different threads and some info i had to pm other members for so i thought i would try and condense what i learned for all in one thread.

on a side note lol... i did however blow the 15 amp fuse for the turn signals twice! when installing the new 3157 leds front and rear which led me to go to pepboy's and autozone like a tard in the middle of my mod to get more fuses lol. the low profile mini fuses where not easy to come by btw so if your going to attemp this mod maybe order a low profile mini style fuse kit offline before installing your bulbs as a precaution so your not stuck with no signals like i was. leds are polaric so just becareful and read your directions and look closely at the new bulbs before installing as some can damage the bulbs themselves or the flasher module also they will pop fuses.

if you have any questions let me know. i will post up pictures of the stock flasher module so you can see what your working on and i will try to get a video up for you guy's as well so you can see the leds and how bright they are they are a big improvement in terms of brightness and style over filament bulbs just be sure you up grade with a good quality led putco v-led or super bright leds all sell some nice stuff. just consider the housing they are being installed into the 360 degree type work very well it dumbs down the bulb choices and it's what i recommend.

be :cool: you crazy kids :)

2. Nov 19, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info here. I was a little stuck with what was needed to switch my blinkers over to LED. :thumbsup:

3. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    no problem man glad i could help out :)

i feel like this should be made into a sticky so this info is around for others and not buried in the lighting section 6 pages back lolz.

the update is as follows my flasher is still functioning properly as are the bad ass putco leds this was a very cool mod imo it makes the truck look killer at night! i switched over every single filament bulb on my truck with some high quality leds from putco and they are just way! brighter than the stock bulbs no doubt about it.

4. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    no problem man glad i could help out :)

i feel like this should be made into a sticky so this info is around for others and not buried in the lighting section 6 pages back lolz.

the update is as follows my flasher is still functioning properly as are the bad ass putco leds this was a very cool mod imo it makes the truck look killer at night! i switched over every single filament bulb on my truck with some high quality leds from putco and they are just way! brighter than the stock bulbs no doubt about it.

5. Dec 17, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    mods should sticky this for those wanting to make the change over to leds while keeping things safe.

6. Dec 17, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    yes. should be a sticky.

7. Dec 21, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    tALOHAma

tALOHAma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oakland, Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4
    Anytime fog mod, debadged, drop in k&n, smoked taillights, led inside and out,
    bump for a great right up

8. Dec 22, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    TheDan

TheDan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Shasta Lake, California
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab Short Bed TRD OR
    I thought the front turn signals had some sort of special "ck" wiring that required a specially wired LED?

9. Dec 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    thanks guy's :)

btw the crk leds are for if you have the dtrl's and want to modify the factory flasher by slowly grinding the resistance hoop inside of it. that makes the current harder to go through so it solves the hyper blinking.

there is a separate write up another member did about this that had pictures and everything that should be a sticky as well.

the trucks that have the dtrl's have the 12 pin flasher and there is not a direct replacement led flasher that i'm aware of. cadillac uses a 12 pin led flasher for their cars and trucks but, i never tested it out to see if the pin layout is the same or not.

so to recap i believe the crk leds are to be used when and if you mod your factory flasher module. i did not use crk leds on my truck but, i was able to get the 8 pin flasher module and just swap it out.

hope this helps you out :)

hans

10. Dec 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    Overland Hadley

Member:
    Hey Hans,

I swapped out the flasher module this last week, what a pia to get it out!

I ended up pulling the dash below the steering wheel in able to pull the fuse box out to get the flasher with those evil clips out. I spent less time pulling the lower dash out than I did trying to reach behind and unclip it.

How did you get the flasher module out?

11. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500

testify lol!

that flasher was a complete nightmare i just laid on my back had an extremely bright light and felt my way to the clip on it then i had a tiny flat head screw driver nad pushed the little pin in and wiggled it free but its really in there!

to anyone else who does this be centle with things and either do what hadley did and drop the fuse box to give you a better view of whats going on behind the actual fuse panel. i was able to contort myself and had a tiny screw driver to gently push in the clip while i wiggled it side to side.

i'm glad this helped ya out hadley i had a hell of a time with this but, once i figured stuff out it went pretty easy i was just worried about breaking the flasher or one of its pins off.

12. Dec 23, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    Overland Hadley

Member:
    You got both hands up there? I tried for a long time, but I could never get more than one hand on the module.

I even got out a small camera and took some pictures of what was going on, when I saw the additional relays located above it I decided to start pulling from the dash.

13. Jan 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    arnieosp

arnieosp New Member

Member:
    Great write-up.

I recently converted my Lexus to the LED turn signals. It has the same looking flasher. I found the LED flasher on ebay and replaced it. The turn signals and 4-ways work fine, no hyper flashing at all. However, I lost the lock/unlock flash confirmation.

So, I need to find the flasher that would support this function. V-LEDs has one listed on their site, but they are not in stock and the ETA in unknown. Does your flasher support the lock/unlock flash confirmation?

Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. May 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    CalgaryRider

CalgaryRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayne
    Cranbrook, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5
    2009 Tacoma SR5 Too many to list, but its a SR5 with a TRD Sport Heart
    Just wondering if there is any update on this?

I have a bit of a unique situation but pretty sure I need to check the flasher module to see what I may need to do.

I have actually converted my Turn signals and DTRL location to Blazer fogs, and relocated the wiring to the outside marker light which now acts as my signal light and DTRL.

Its going to be fun digging around with electrical but gotta say its nice having the turn signals in the proper location, on the OUTSIDE of the headlight. Now I need to upgrade to LED's so they are brighter.

15. May 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    arnieosp

arnieosp New Member

Member:
    V-LEDs finally got the relays in stock. I bought it and had it installed, everything works, including the flash lock/unlock confirmation.

16. May 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    three west

three west Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JD
    UP MI
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB TRD Sport
    come on man, link or part number or somethin :p

17. May 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    arnieosp

arnieosp New Member

Member:
  18. May 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    three west

Member:
    First Name:
    JD
    UP MI
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB TRD Sport
  19. May 21, 2012 at 7:06 AM
    three west

Member:
    First Name:
    JD
    UP MI
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB TRD Sport
    bah, and shame on me for not reading again, this is the 8-pin flasher!
    :confused:

anybody wanna buy an 8-pin flasher?
    bah, nevermind, I'll just return it.

20. May 22, 2012 at 4:58 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    thats the company i would recommend v-leds i mean. my flasher module has worked great it was shipped fast and was affordable to buy.

glad this worked out for you thank you for sharing this for the guys with keyless entry this is great. my truck does not have power locks or windows so i was unsure of what to tell you guys lol.

To Top