1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to regain temp, compass brightness when parking lights are on?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Whitster, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Oct 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    Whitster

Whitster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC w/SR5 & TRD, 6' bed
    I did the DRL and alternating turn signals mod to my '09...kewell...

Anyway, to get these to work the light switch on the stalk has to be in the 'parking light' or 'headlight' position. This dims the radio and temp/compass lighting, the dimmer radio indications I can live with, but the temp/compass readout is useless unless I turn the stalk/parking lights switch off every time I want to see it...sux.

I sub'd to alldatadiy.com looking for wiring associated with the temp/compass ... what a waste of $$, they don't even know the temp/compass option exists...really underwhelming. Their "techs" say it can't be done...BS!!

There's got to be a wire that signals the temp/compass display to get bright again simulating daytime conditions. Or a control wire that tells the temp/compass board the lights are off.

Maybe I could just experiment with diode coupling 12V to the source, or maybe 5V. I know there is a switched 12V on the light green wire in the overhead console, I wired my Valentine to it.

Any clues? I could probably start easter-egging my way around the circuit board but hate to toast something in the process.

Thanks,

Whit

2. Oct 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    Whitster

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Caribe -
    This is the fuse/junction/connector panel behind the kick panel in the driver-side foot well?

My lazy side is emerging...where does the other end of that green wire on 1E-6 go? Like to a pin on a connector in the overhead console going to the temp/compass display, which is much easier to access?

I don't mean to sound unappreciative, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again,
    Whit

3. Oct 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    Whitster

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    Hey Caribe, that green wire on pin 4 of the overhead console was the wire!! Thanks. Display stays bright all the time now.

Thanks again,

Whit

4. Oct 22, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    Whitster

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    I elected to go to it from the overhead console end instead of fighting all the plastic behind the kick panel in the driver's foot well.

I gained access behind the overhead console panel by removing the single screw revealed when the glasses case is opened. Then pulled downward on the forward portion of the console and the panel came right out. There are a pair of pinch clips on the forward end and 3 claw-looking lugs on the rear end. When pulling the front panel down watch for the pinch clips that might fall out. They just slip over a couple white plastic extrusions that fit into matching holes in the overhead.

There is a 10-pin connector that has a green wire in the #4 position in the upper row. There isn't much slack in the source side of the connector and the usual barb retracting tricks were unsuccessful in removing the conductor from the connector. So...I found the mating conductor on the other side of the connector and cut it. Those wires on the mating side are all black, just count down to the 4th matching position and cut that one. (Give the insulation a tug which will stretch the ends over the cut copper then tuck the loose ends out of the way.)
    That did the trick.

Note: Don't mess with the light green wire on the same source connector in position 1, that one has a switched +12V (That's where I powered my V-1 from)

Thanks again to Caribe for showing the way.

Whit

5. Sep 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    Beerrun

Beerrun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    10 Sedan Sport LB
    Fog light rewire- debadge- front window tint- 5100's @ 1.75- Toytec 1.5 AAL- Avid sliders- 4x4 lighted switch- Sockmonkey decals- Truxedo low pro QT cover- Weather Techs- Back up light Mod. Diff. breather mod. OEM roof rack-Yakima bars. HomerTaco grill. Hella Black Magic Lts. WT vent visors.
    Can't be d:rolleyes:ne... Anything can be done here! Every time I think of something, that Toyota should have, I hit the search button and someone has come up with a fix. This took less then five min. and know I can see the temp. without shutting off my park lights. Thanks guys.

Products Discussed in

To Top