Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How to regain temp, compass brightness when parking lights are on?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
How to regain temp, compass brightness when parking lights are on?

I did the DRL and alternating turn signals mod to my '09...kewell...

Anyway, to get these to work the light switch on the stalk has to be in the 'parking light' or 'headlight' position. This dims the radio and temp/compass lighting, the dimmer radio indications I can live with, but the temp/compass readout is useless unless I turn the stalk/parking lights switch off every time I want to see it...sux.

I sub'd to alldatadiy.com looking for wiring associated with the temp/compass ... what a waste of $$, they don't even know the temp/compass option exists...really underwhelming. Their "techs" say it can't be done...BS!!

There's got to be a wire that signals the temp/compass display to get bright again simulating daytime conditions. Or a control wire that tells the temp/compass board the lights are off.

Maybe I could just experiment with diode coupling 12V to the source, or maybe 5V. I know there is a switched 12V on the light green wire in the overhead console, I wired my Valentine to it.

Any clues? I could probably start easter-egging my way around the circuit board but hate to toast something in the process.

Thanks,

Whit
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Remove (don't cut) pin 6 (green wire) on connector 1E (black) @ interior junction/fuse box. Remember to d/c neg terminal to battery while working with this.

If you desire normal function when headlights on, you'll need to wire in a micro relay with 85 to ground, 86 to headlight tap (steering column wire) 30 to compass/temp and 87 from connector (if no repair wire to substitute than cut and terminate with connectors both ends of cut green wire.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Thanks Caribe -
This is the fuse/junction/connector panel behind the kick panel in the driver-side foot well?

My lazy side is emerging...where does the other end of that green wire on 1E-6 go? Like to a pin on a connector in the overhead console going to the temp/compass display, which is much easier to access?

I don't mean to sound unappreciative, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again,
Whit
Old 10-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitster View Post
Thanks Caribe -
This is the fuse/junction/connector panel behind the kick panel in the driver-side foot well?

My lazy side is emerging...where does the other end of that green wire on 1E-6 go? Like to a pin on a connector in the overhead console going to the temp/compass display, which is much easier to access?

I don't mean to sound unappreciative, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again,
Whit
Yes.
Yes. Easier to access, but would you place a "device" up there to get proper illumination when u desire it?
I'm unaware if the '09 has same pin configuration as '05 which is pin 4.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #5

Hey Caribe, that green wire on pin 4 of the overhead console was the wire!! Thanks. Display stays bright all the time now.

Thanks again,

Whit
Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Lurker No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitster View Post
Hey Caribe, that green wire on pin 4 of the overhead console was the wire!! Thanks. Display stays bright all the time now.

Thanks again,

Whit
Excellent! so the display is still the same as '05. Show us what you did.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
Excellent! so the display is still the same as '05. Show us what you did.
I elected to go to it from the overhead console end instead of fighting all the plastic behind the kick panel in the driver's foot well.

I gained access behind the overhead console panel by removing the single screw revealed when the glasses case is opened. Then pulled downward on the forward portion of the console and the panel came right out. There are a pair of pinch clips on the forward end and 3 claw-looking lugs on the rear end. When pulling the front panel down watch for the pinch clips that might fall out. They just slip over a couple white plastic extrusions that fit into matching holes in the overhead.

There is a 10-pin connector that has a green wire in the #4 position in the upper row. There isn't much slack in the source side of the connector and the usual barb retracting tricks were unsuccessful in removing the conductor from the connector. So...I found the mating conductor on the other side of the connector and cut it. Those wires on the mating side are all black, just count down to the 4th matching position and cut that one. (Give the insulation a tug which will stretch the ends over the cut copper then tuck the loose ends out of the way.)
That did the trick.

Note: Don't mess with the light green wire on the same source connector in position 1, that one has a switched +12V (That's where I powered my V-1 from)

Thanks again to Caribe for showing the way.

Whit
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Beerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Beerrun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I sub'd to alldatadiy.com looking for wiring associated with the temp/compass ... what a waste of $$, they don't even know the temp/compass option exists...really underwhelming. Their "techs" say it can't be done...BS!!
Can't be dne... Anything can be done here! Every time I think of something, that Toyota should have, I hit the search button and someone has come up with a fix. This took less then five min. and know I can see the temp. without shutting off my park lights. Thanks guys.