Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

A Retro Project for rhewins13

Old 10-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
Muy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Muy Grande's Tacoma Gallery
A Retro Project for rhewins13

So I decided to post up a few pictures of Richards aka rhewins13 Morimoto Projector Headlights. As I understand it, rhewins13 is overseas battling the bad guys and like many of us he takes pride in his Tacoma. He asked me to custom make him a set of Retros that are Murdered out and feature the Halo Ring aka Angel Eyes. I'm hoping to complete his set in the next couple of days so that when he gets back to the states, they'll be ready for install.

This project features the following:

1. New Aftermarket Headlights (ebay)
2. Complete Stage III Morimoto Mini Projector kit (TRS) w/ Apollo Shrouds and 35w 6000k bulbs with Morimoto 3five Ballast
3. Halo Rings - 90mm for outside edge of Apollo Shrouds
4. Murdered Out (Black Surround, Black Bowls, Black Shrouds) - Krylon Fusion Satin Black Paint w/ Oven Bake

If you need tips on any of this, just PM me or post to the thread. More pics to come, including the Alignment, final assembly and water test.
Attached Thumbnails
A Retro Project for rhewins13-new-aftermarket-headlights.jpg   A Retro Project for rhewins13-trs-retro-kit.jpg   A Retro Project for rhewins13-painted-shrouds-oven.jpg   A Retro Project for rhewins13-painted-bowls-oven-2.jpg   A Retro Project for rhewins13-projector-bowl-installed-1.jpg  

A Retro Project for rhewins13-halo-ring-1.jpg   A Retro Project for rhewins13-halo-rings-curing-installed.jpg  
Old 10-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Wish I could have come back to some Taco toys when I got back stateside... wait, I didnt have a Tacoma in 03-06
Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
rhewins13 is on a distinguished road
Army: SPC, 2 Brigade,82nd Abn Div, 1-73 CAV FST
Name: Richard
rhewins13's Tacoma Gallery
looking good john, i cant wait to see these up close and in person
Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
painting newb question....why did you oven bake after painting? helps it dry faster or does that add an effect to the paint that can't be matched by air drying?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
painting newb question....why did you oven bake after painting? helps it dry faster or does that add an effect to the paint that can't be matched by air drying?
Helps smooth the paint, any overspray gets evened out and plus the baking helps prevent the 'off gassing' that can cause the lenses to fog afterwards. I did the same with my bezels when I painted them.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Helps smooth the paint, any overspray gets evened out and plus the baking helps prevent the 'off gassing' that can cause the lenses to fog afterwards. I did the same with my bezels when I painted them.
right on....was just reading up on that and seems to be the common reason...i definitely will be doing this with my headlight retro-fit when it is time

another question...do you have any good tips on prepping the chrome pieces for paint?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
right on....was just reading up on that and seems to be the common reason...i definitely will be doing this with my headlight retro-fit when it is time

another question...do you have any good tips on prepping the chrome pieces for paint?
I just wiped them down with alcohol and a lint-free rag (t-shirts work), then hit it with Krylon Fusion. You could do a light sand step in there but there are so many little nooks and crannies on the bezels, you'll never sand all of it. My mentality was it's clean plastic, it's never been exposed to elements or anything that could chip it, so I just wiped it down and hit it with paint. Do very light coats and lots of them to build up the color.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I just wiped them down with alcohol and a lint-free rag (t-shirts work), then hit it with Krylon Fusion. You could do a light sand step in there but there are so many little nooks and crannies on the bezels, you'll never sand all of it. My mentality was it's clean plastic, it's never been exposed to elements or anything that could chip it, so I just wiped it down and hit it with paint. Do very light coats and lots of them to build up the color.
thanks man

OP nice looking work btw! hopefully i can turn out a product like that
Old 10-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Muy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tips

Quote:
thanks man

OP nice looking work btw! hopefully i can turn out a product like that
Pugga is right on point with everything he stated.

Tips:
1. Pre-heat oven to 315
2. Turn down heat to warm when placing either the shrouds or bowls or surrounds in......I leave the shrouds in for 5 mins and the bowls and surround for 7 mins. I check the bowls and surround for bubbling of paint at 5 mins (you don't want the paint to bubble - known causes to hot or left in to long - believe me I know).

Important tip: Wait a few minutes aka let the painted pieces air dry a 3-5 minutes before putting them in the oven. If you put them in the oven right after you paint, you run the risk of having overspray bubble up. If this happens no big deal just wait till it drys and sand it down and hit it with some paint and try again.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
looks sick. Ive been thinking about blacking my retro out...
Yeah, I saw your post and voted - BlackOut!
Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #12

Update...Headlights Sealed.

Sealed up the lights today. (I already did the alignment, normally you don't seal them up until you get the alignment done......I post pics of the alignment, the Halos turned on, and the water test tomorrow night.)
Attached Thumbnails
A Retro Project for rhewins13-shroud-1.jpg   A Retro Project for rhewins13-shroud-2.jpg   A Retro Project for rhewins13-warming-up-sealer.jpg   A Retro Project for rhewins13-corner-clamp.jpg   A Retro Project for rhewins13-top-corner-clamp.jpg  

A Retro Project for rhewins13-sealed-clamped.jpg   A Retro Project for rhewins13-sealed-clamped-2.jpg  
Old 10-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #13
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Where did u run the halo wires through?? I got the same ones that I'm still trying to figure where to run the wires through lol
Good job btw
Old 10-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #14
rhewins13 is on a distinguished road
Army: SPC, 2 Brigade,82nd Abn Div, 1-73 CAV FST
Name: Richard
rhewins13's Tacoma Gallery
looking good John, im really excited about these
Old 10-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #15
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
nice work! wanting to do the same thing. when i get the money.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #16
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muy Grande View Post
Sealed up the lights today. (I already did the alignment, normally you don't seal them up until you get the alignment done......I post pics of the alignment, the Halos turned on, and the water test tomorrow night.)
Looks dope.

How did you align w/o aiming them on the truck? Did you light the halogen bulb inside the shield w/ jumper cables, see where the cut off is, tape on the cut off line, mark where shield is sitting and then put the projector in shield (now cut up) and line the projector cut off w/ the taped line on the wall? Hope that made sense... lol

I didn't do that. I basically drilled holes, eye balled that it should be aimed slightly down, put the light in the truck and adjusted the screws till I got it where it should be. I'll be sealing one headlight today
Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
Where did u run the halo wires through?? I got the same ones that I'm still trying to figure where to run the wires through lol
Good job btw
I ran them through the small hole that you run the projector wires thru.....there is enough space for 4 wires. Hope this helps somewhat. I'll try to post a pic of a bowl to show you.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
Looks dope.

How did you align w/o aiming them on the truck? Did you light the halogen bulb inside the shield w/ jumper cables, see where the cut off is, tape on the cut off line, mark where shield is sitting and then put the projector in shield (now cut up) and line the projector cut off w/ the taped line on the wall? Hope that made sense... lol

I didn't do that. I basically drilled holes, eye balled that it should be aimed slightly down, put the light in the truck and adjusted the screws till I got it where it should be. I'll be sealing one headlight today
It's a little different for the Morimoto Mini Projectors than the FX-R projectors but you basically have to re-install the headlights prior to sealing them up to check for the alignment. I did that with the set I'm making I just didn't take the pictures. And yes, I do an eyeball test but I also have a blank wall with tape that I use to make sure I like the alignment.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #19
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have to trim the insides of the shrouds? I assume you have to trim more for an FX-R kit
Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #20
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muy Grande View Post
I ran them through the small hole that you run the projector wires thru.....there is enough space for 4 wires. Hope this helps somewhat. I'll try to post a pic of a bowl to show you.
cool thanks man...im going to tackle mine this weekend