Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

PIAA wiring question, fried my switch

Old 10-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
ruger1 is on a distinguished road
ruger1's Tacoma Gallery
PIAA wiring question, fried my switch

I have had my PIAA 525 lights on my truck for a while now and have had the switch power connected directly to the battery so that i could run them whenever i want. Today i had the bright idea of wiring the lights up so that they would turn on with my brights while still having the switch connected to the battery. I found the power wire going to my highbeam and i piggy backed a wire from there to the switch power wire in the relay. The switch has its own relay and i connected into the white power wire that goes into the relay. Well everything worked and my PIAA's come on with the highbeams but my PIAA switch in the cab literally fried, its was smoking a little and now it does not work, but my lights still do. Anyone know why?

Stupid question: should i be able to turn on my truck lights without a key in the ignition? I know that they turn off automatically when left on if the truck is shut off but never tried to turn them on without key.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger1 View Post
I have had my PIAA 525 lights on my truck for a while now and have had the switch power connected directly to the battery so that i could run them whenever i want. Today i had the bright idea of wiring the lights up so that they would turn on with my brights while still having the switch connected to the battery. I found the power wire going to my highbeam and i piggy backed a wire from there to the switch power wire in the relay. The switch has its own relay and i connected into the white power wire that goes into the relay. Well everything worked and my PIAA's come on with the highbeams but my PIAA switch in the cab literally fried, its was smoking a little and now it does not work, but my lights still do. Anyone know why?

Stupid question: should i be able to turn on my truck lights without a key in the ignition? I know that they turn off automatically when left on if the truck is shut off but never tried to turn them on without key.
You probably have a lighted switch? With the switch in the off position, there is electrical continuity between the wire going to the relay and the grounded tab on the switch that runs the switch light. You basically created a short. I am kind of surprised the headlight fuse didn't blow before the switch melted down. The one time I tried what you just tried, I just blew a fuse.

My truck I can turn the lights on without a key.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
ruger1's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=joes06tacoma;3912215]You probably have a lighted switch? With the switch in the off position, there is electrical continuity between the wire going to the relay and the grounded tab on the switch that runs the switch light. You basically created a short. I am kind of surprised the headlight fuse didn't blow before the switch melted down. The one time I tried what you just tried, I just blew a fuse.

Yes the switch is lighted. Any idea on what i need to do to correct this? The OEM switch has two buttons on it. One is a master on/off and the other toggles between the driving light and the fog light mode for the lights so i need to replace it.

I piggy backed into the white wire that has power when the switch is turned on. There is another white wire going into the relay that has constant power from the switch. Should i have connected into that one?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=ruger1;3913267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
You probably have a lighted switch? With the switch in the off position, there is electrical continuity between the wire going to the relay and the grounded tab on the switch that runs the switch light. You basically created a short. I am kind of surprised the headlight fuse didn't blow before the switch melted down. The one time I tried what you just tried, I just blew a fuse.

Yes the switch is lighted. Any idea on what i need to do to correct this? The OEM switch has two buttons on it. One is a master on/off and the other toggles between the driving light and the fog light mode for the lights so i need to replace it.

I piggy backed into the white wire that has power when the switch is turned on. There is another white wire going into the relay that has constant power from the switch. Should i have connected into that one?
I just looked up the instructions for those lights you have and it appears you have a fancier switch than I am used to. It sounds like you fried the switch. If it were me, I would sort out the wiring, toss the ruined switch, and rewire to use a couple of toggle switches. But I can't figure out how they have them wired from the instruction sheet.

What I have done on my past trucks that I put off road lights on is tap into the parking light circuit and then into the high beam, then I use a double throw, single pole switch to choose whether I want them on, or on with high beams only. Then the output from that toggle switch goes to activate the relay.

In your case, there are two relays. What I can't tell from the instructions is whether they use one relay for driving beam, and one for fog beam, or if they use one for on/off and the other for switching between fog and driving beam. Both are possible.

We really need a true wiring schematic to be able to figure this out on the internet.

Perhaps another member has done it already.

You could call PIAA and tell them how you want it to all work when you are done. Maybe they would be able to advise you how to proceed.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
ruger1's Tacoma Gallery
One relay is for the two fog lights and the other is for the switch itself. Each relay has four wires going into it. I am thinking that i piggy backed into the wrong wire on the switch relay.

install instructions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 525.pdf (476.2 KB, 167 views)
Old 10-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Clearly you've wired up something incorrectly.

Diagram it out.

You want your high-beam-controlled relay switch in-series with the driver controlled switch, unless it's also driving a relay.