LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

"true" black tail light mod

Old 10-28-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
"true" black tail light mod

I got these off XRU, I'm not taking credit as this is not my work. Just sharing info. Enjoy

Thanks to vince77 and dmbfan73

2005-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince77 View Post
What you'll need.
-Dremel or rotory tool of somekind, with cut off wheel, regular or diamond disk will work, and sanding drum.
-Knife or flat head screw driver.
-Painters tape.
-Xacto or somekind of small sharp knife
-Plastic fusion black paint. Whatever finish you choose.
-Somekind of plastic glue, Edit: Use some type of two part epoxy. Super glue fumes bring out any little finger print that might be left inside lens.
-Silicone.

First you start by cutting along the groove between the clear lens and the black backing of the tail light. Careful to stay in the groove as much as you can. And move slowly, the regular cheap cutting wheels will shatter easily, but cut a little easier also.

You only need to cut as deep as the black line you can see on the face of the tail lens.

Once you have cut all the way around the lens, you'll have to use a knife or flat head screw driver to pop the lens the rest of the way off. Some of the plastic will stick back together. Do a little bit at a time so you do not crack the lens.

With lens off.

Now you need to sand and smooth down the edges where the lens and tail light will come back together.

Next tape of the areas you don't want to paint. Use the xacto knife to make your clean edges. We taped off the one side reflector but painted over the rear facing one.

Next, clean and paint the tail light. Let dry and remove tape.

Make sure to clean both the inside of the lens, and tail light before putting them back together.

You can either tape them or have someone hold the lens onto the tail while gluing them back together.

Once lens is glued back on, run a small bead of silicone along the seam of the tail light and lens. Run your finger along the seam to push it in some, and clean up any extra.

After the silicone has dried, tape off all but about a 1/4" of the edge of the lens. You'll need to paint a small portion of the edge to hide where the seam was cut.

Let paint dry, remove the tape and your done.

2009-2012

Same process, different results

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan73 View Post
what better way to spend memorial day...kevin and i cut up my led tails and blacked them out.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I think I may give that a try on my 08 oems.............
Old 10-28-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great
Old 10-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
nice! BTLM? looks like it. yeah i just kinda made that up.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
nice! BTLM? looks like it. yeah i just kinda made that up.
Nah that's wat they call it in the underground
Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
How'd he glue them back together, JB weld? I want to try to get the fog lights apart but am nervous about them sealing up again. I'm guessing I could use this process on them.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
How'd he glue them back together, JB weld? I want to try to get the fog lights apart but am nervous about them sealing up again. I'm guessing I could use this process on them.
A good 2part epoxy to make them stick together again and silicone to seal them
Old 10-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
2012 is on a distinguished road
Name: Garrett
2012's Tacoma Gallery
could you put the tail light in the oven the way you do the BHLM? or is the oven too hot for the plastic?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
holy crap! want!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
could you put the tail light in the oven the way you do the BHLM? or is the oven too hot for the plastic?
NO!

the oven will melt the taillights. people on XRU have tried and it just destroys them.

+, the taillights are not held together with a silicone like the headlights are. the taillights are held together by the plastic being melted together
Old 10-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
that looks awesome
Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
2012 is on a distinguished road
Name: Garrett
2012's Tacoma Gallery
That's kind of what I had figured but I thought I should check with you guys. It would have been nice to sit in the kitchen and take all my lights apart.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
rhewins13 is on a distinguished road
Army: SPC, 2 Brigade,82nd Abn Div, 1-73 CAV FST
Name: Richard
rhewins13's Tacoma Gallery
I think that i have to try this out
Old 11-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
For the LED tail lights, did you have to mask off each individual LED?
i have no idea. im assuming the LED's all come out in a cluster instead of them all being seperate
Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but, this is a repost and it is not a viable option.

The only reason the finished product looks like that is because he used the outer plastic from an aftermarket light. The outer plastic from our taillights is what is tinted pink. So if you do this, it would still have a pink tint to it, just that it would look blackish underneath.

The person who posted that DYI said it himself that it is not worth it.

As for 09+ LED Tails, it might work there, since the outer cover is in fact clear.

I will look for the post, as I remember posting in that thread.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Liquid I View Post
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but, this is a repost and it is not a viable option.

The only reason the finished product looks like that is because he used the outer plastic from an aftermarket light. The outer plastic from our taillights is what is tinted pink. So if you do this, it would still have a pink tint to it, just that it would look blackish underneath.

The person who posted that DYI said it himself that it is not worth it.

As for 09+ LED Tails, it might work there, since the outer cover is in fact clear.

I will look for the post, as I remember posting in that thread.
you can also VERY EASILY buff the pink tint off the inside of the stock lens, or just put up with it because its not that bad. i have seen them with the "pink" still in it and its not noticable unless you are looking for it
Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
you can also VERY EASILY buff the pink tint off the inside of the stock lens, or just put up with it because its not that bad. i have seen them with the "pink" still in it and its not noticable unless you are looking for it
That does change things. I actually wanted to do this when the other guy posted it. I cannot find my post or that thread, but whatever... I honestly had not thought about buffing the lens... I do not think he did either. Good call!
Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #20
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
wtf is up with the wing..