Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

2nd Gen Auto Shifter LED...

Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Auto Shifter LED...

BLUE:

Ok, so recently a couple of members have brought up questions about changing out that little light located next to our shifters...and a couple want brighter ones than the ones they sell out there.

So this is what i came up with...

bought a pack of 2 led strips from pepe boys (around $10-15)

took my truck apart (everything literally pops off these trucks if you dont already know that )

then unhooked the plug to splice into the wires (i threw a bit of solder just to be safe)

test:

they come with double sided 3mm tape so sticking is easy..

on

close up shop:

everything on (or driving at night)

sorry for the crappy cell pics....i literally just did this mod like 20 mins ago
these lights are really bright and they are the same ones used for your clusters

since it comes with 2 strips you can maybe split the cost with another local member...those of you that are local to me, I will be having blue, red and white strips in "stock" with me incase you want it done...all you need to pay for is for one strip which will be like $8ish depending how much the pack cost....goodluck

any questions feel free to post on here and ill get back to you asap
Old 11-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Well what does the package the LEDs come in look like, we don't have a pepboys in my town :/
Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
good idea... what if i get the led strip with no weatherproof thing to cover the led and resolder with red orange and green LEDs?? hahah

nvm...the spacing is far apart.. if each letter got an LED it would be possible...
ya, idk if you could.....if you make your own board with leds and resistors then ya you could make it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
Well what does the package the LEDs come in look like, we don't have a pepboys in my town :/
damn...idk where its at, i can upload a pic tomorrow
Old 11-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
That's kinda like what I did. Gj bro
Old 11-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts View Post
That's kinda like what I did. Gj bro
Nice great minds think alike lol
Old 11-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
thats a good idea those are the leds that light up my interior sry for bad pics cell phone

Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dane
4x4Taco09's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't have a pepboys or a parts house local, or want to pay high prices for what these lights strips usually cost, go to eBay. Type in SMD led strip. (surface mount diode). I buy them and install them under atvs and so many other places. They are cheap cheap cheap.

Your truck looks good OP! I think I'm going to have to swap my cluster to white/amber and everything else. I don't like how the color swap comes out on the HVAC. So I'll just try to match it all
Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Taco09 View Post
If you don't have a pepboys or a parts house local, or want to pay high prices for what these lights strips usually cost, go to eBay. Type in SMD led strip. (surface mount diode). I buy them and install them under atvs and so many other places. They are cheap cheap cheap.

Your truck looks good OP! I think I'm going to have to swap my cluster to white/amber and everything else. I don't like how the color swap comes out on the HVAC. So I'll just try to match it all
Ya true that

Thanks man, I've been meaning to get someone that wants that color code: white with amber to match it all...
Old 11-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLLD View Post
thats a good idea those are the leds that light up my interior sry for bad pics cell phone

Yup I have the same ones running on the bottom as well on my truck. Looks good
Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Banned
Shemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Shemicals's Tacoma Gallery
subbed for later
Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
rrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: Richard
rrh_2's Tacoma Gallery
Got the strip fixing to do the mod but when I splice the wires which order do I hook them up in
Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrh_2 View Post
Got the strip fixing to do the mod but when I splice the wires which order do I hook them up in
I honestly dont remember...both wires look the same so I spliced n wrapped the wires then turn on the parking lights to see if it works, If not, the just flip the wires around
Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwVNO...e_gdata_player

^^^this dude copied my idea lol

What I don't understand is why go through the a/c controls for power when you have power on the wires of the stock bulb are right under neath the shifter
Old 03-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
BLUE:

Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
I love the blue shifter lights. Another mod I'm doin this weekend lol
Old 03-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLLD View Post
I love the blue shifter lights. Another mod I'm doin this weekend lol
sweet
Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
jaime11 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jaime
jaime11's Tacoma Gallery
cant you just switch the orange led for a diferent color? or do you have to do all of this?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
It's not and led...it's a bulb...and you can buy a bulb the same size with the color you want, I only did this becuz it covers more
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #20
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
It's not and led...it's a bulb...and you can buy a bulb the same size with the color you want, I only did this becuz it covers more
Just so you know, its your fault I want to change every damn lightbulb in the taco