Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Issue with new HIDs. Help.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
BSHAW is on a distinguished road

BSHAW's Tacoma Gallery
Issue with new HIDs. Help.

I just install new HID fog light and headlights. The fog lights are awesome, but I am not as impressed with the headlights.

Is it normal for the HID bulbs to pulsate? also would there any mis-connection that would make the headlights seem not bright enough?

Fog lights and headlights did come from two different companies (Xentec for the fogs/not sure for the headlights). Before I go buy a higher priced (but perhaps better quality) HID Headlight kit I wanted to check to see if maybe there is something I am missing, or if this is just something I have to learn to live with.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHAW View Post
I just install new HID fog light and headlights. The fog lights are awesome, but I am not as impressed with the headlights.

Is it normal for the HID bulbs to pulsate? also would there any mis-connection that would make the headlights seem not bright enough?

Fog lights and headlights did come from two different companies (Xentec for the fogs/not sure for the headlights). Before I go buy a higher priced (but perhaps better quality) HID Headlight kit I wanted to check to see if maybe there is something I am missing, or if this is just something I have to learn to live with.
Well I can definitely tell you thats not normal. My HID's take a few seconds on start up to reach brightness (As they have to warm up) but there there is never and has never been any flickering. That sounds like a loose connection. Check your grounds (Make sure you didn't ground to paint instead of sheet metal) and check all connections
Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a good opportunity to get rid of the HID's in your OEM fogs, unless you only use them off-road. It's a really bad idea to use them on public roads.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
startup flicker is normal, but shouldnt last more than a second or 2.

check ur wiring?

grounds specifically.

Actually they work damn good as DTRL too
As halogen, maybe. Not HID kits in the factory fog housings.

I'm pretty happy with the factory's implementation of DRLs. Uses less power than the fog lights, too.

But, halogen fogs in many cars are the DRLs and it does work well.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
i've read that the daytime running lights on some cars can cause the HID's to flicker, maybe disable the dtrl? or buy these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-HID-Anti...ht_2873wt_1165

not sure if they work, and it doesn't happen with all brands of HID's, but i think it's a common problem