1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with heat/ac controls lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Sideways, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Nov 6, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    Sideways

Sideways [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD dbl cab
    I installed one of RCBS's 4wd lighted switch kits a couple of weeks ago, install went smoothly overall and everything was working great until
    I was on my way out yesterday morning and turned the heat on.

After a few minutes I started smelling something electrical burning then I noticed smoke comming from behind the 4wd switch when I was able to pull over the smoke had stopped but there was still a strong burning smell.
    Nothing was hot but the lights on the 4wd switch and temp control were out so I figured it popped a fuse, so I went on my way.

I pulled the 4wd switch this morning and looks like the issue was my soldering the wires to the switch.

So I got to checking the fuses and none of them are blown, the light on the A/C button and recirculating button work but none of the lights work on the fan, temp control and air distribution switches.
    (I have a 2nd temp control assy that I plugged in and got the same results)
    The 4wd switch works but the lights do not.
    The only other issue I have noticed is the screen on my radio (which is a Scion Nav unit) does not dim when I turn on the lights.
    Anyone have any ideas?

2. Nov 6, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    I'm sorry you are having problems with your install.
    Are you sure you have the correct green wires on the AC controls?
    Sounds like a major over current issue, If you hooked the lights to the motor control for the fan, and then turned on the fan then you would fry the 4x4 lighting board.
    The fact that you have no blown fuses, and still have no lights tells me you may have shorted the wiring harness out. Check the red and white twisted wires you connected to the AC controls and see if they got damaged.
    Did the failure coincide with the heater being turned on? Was this the first time you turned on the heat since the install?
    Re-check the board with a 9-volt battery or the truck battery and see if it still functions.
    Can you double check the wiring going to the AC controls, and make sure they match the picture below exactly? The green wire (pin3)and the green/white stripped wire(pin8) are side by side. If you grabbed the other green wire with the black strip (pin5) that is the motor set signal going to the fan. I have never measured the voltage from that pin, but i imagine if you are hooked to that one that is the cause of your problem. If you did hook to that wire, then you more than likely took out the rheostat that controls the dimmer function. Does the dimmer switch actually dim the rest of the dash lights or work at all?
    Since you have a 2nd AC control module and it does the same thing, lighting wise, i would say it is a problem with the wiring you installed on the AC control.
    As stated on my website, its always a good idea to add a fuse in-line to avoid such things.
    Sorry for all the questions, but i am trying to troubleshoot your problem.
    Let me know your results.
    Thanks
    S

[​IMG]

3. Nov 6, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    Sideways

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD dbl cab
    I appreciate the help and want to make it perfectly clear that I do not believe there is any issue with your product, the problem is with my install.

It was the first time using the heater since the install, up to that point the 4wd switch lit up fine.
    The wires I soldered to the switch are what burnt up.

It has to be something in the wiring as the other control unit is doing the same thing when hooked up.
    The dimmer works all of the other lights.
    The only unrelated thing that does not work is when I turn the headlights on my radio does not dim anymore.

4. Nov 8, 2011 at 3:43 AM
    Sideways

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD dbl cab
    Thanks RCBS, turns out the 10A taillamp fuse under the dash was blown just like you said it would be! :bananadance:

Also want to give props to RCBS for taking a look at my install on the switch once I send it to him. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top