Notices

2012 foglight anytime mod ?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #21
Rossi396
Rossi396 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: A-10A Phase Maintenance
Name: Tony
Rossi396's Tacoma Gallery
The diagram above (see the green circles) works. Use the top left slot. The only issue is you have to shut off your fog lights. Not really a big deal. The other wiring method works fine, too. You just have to run the wire outside the box. With that method, you can leave the fog light switch on when you shut the truck off.

Both ways work fine....

Rossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanrock View Post
is ther any more news on this mod yet the relay box cover on my 2012 states the lower right relay is for seat heaters which is open on mine has any one tried this one yet with good results all info and comments would be helpfull thanx
Old 02-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
Cobalt719 will become famous soon enoughCobalt719 will become famous soon enough

Cobalt719's Tacoma Gallery
So not to completely jack the thread but lets say you want to do the exact opposite and have the fogs cut off with the high beams? I bought some aftermarket fogs and after looking at the wiring it looks like they are independently wired from the lights so they will not turn off when you turn on the high beams. I live in VA and here it is unfortunately a requirement that they turn off with the high beams. Any insights would be great!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt719 View Post
So not to completely jack the thread but lets say you want to do the exact opposite and have the fogs cut off with the high beams? I bought some aftermarket fogs and after looking at the wiring it looks like they are independently wired from the lights so they will not turn off when you turn on the high beams. I live in VA and here it is unfortunately a requirement that they turn off with the high beams. Any insights would be great!

You would need an additional relay that opened up when voltage hit it instead of closing. Where it would need to be installed, and what size/type of relay I am not sure.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #25
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt719 View Post
Get an add-a-circuit and place it on either low beam fuse. Fuse top slot with 1 to 3 amp fuse and 10 amp for bottom slot. The wire from the add-a-circuit goes to pin 86 of aftermarket fog light relay via the fog switch. (There other manners of obtaining same feature)
When you select high beams, dim relay disconnects juice to low filament on head light and to fog relay, getting what you asked for.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #26
Cobalt719 will become famous soon enoughCobalt719 will become famous soon enough

Cobalt719's Tacoma Gallery
Cool deal thanks. I think I follow you. Just so I understand I'm gonna recap.

Add a circuit to the low beam fuse in the box > fog light relay > switch?

Do I still need to connect the power to the battery using the factory harness?

Sorry pretend I'm dumb. I'm very new to this.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
504taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jacob
504taco's Tacoma Gallery
Does this kill the DTRL's? I noticed in your pic the DTRL's are off...
Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #28
Johnny E is a name known to allJohnny E is a name known to allJohnny E is a name known to allJohnny E is a name known to allJohnny E is a name known to allJohnny E is a name known to all

Johnny E's Tacoma Gallery
doing it this way works well. This is a switched source so the the lights will function only when the ignition is on

thx cintocrunch

Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
Johnny E is a name known to allJohnny E is a name known to allJohnny E is a name known to allJohnny E is a name known to allJohnny E is a name known to allJohnny E is a name known to all

Johnny E's Tacoma Gallery
Ultra Stealth Mod
After cintocrunch showed me the easy wayfor a 2012 it occured to me this could be done even cleaner. The image below is the underside of the sub panel. If you were to swap the red/black wire in the upper right corner with the pale green wire in the lower right you would not need the jumper wire or to mess with the relay. Note if you have heated seat the this would be bad as now they would only work with the headlights on lowbeam

I took a look at this tonight and it seems there is a small clip holding the witing connector in the panel. If anyone know how to release the clipthis would be a super clean mod, heck it would even be fused as it is a factory wire

Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #30
wlandrum is on a distinguished road
wlandrum's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Worked perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny E View Post
doing it this way works well. This is a switched source so the the lights will function only when the ignition is on

thx cintocrunch

This is the way I did it, and it worked great. Thanks for the info here on this thread.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #31
Rossi396
Anyone have a cleaner pic of this? Having trouble deciphering exactly what was done here...

Rossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlandrum View Post
This is the way I did it, and it worked great. Thanks for the info here on this thread.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #32
KrispyTaco is on a distinguished road
KrispyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi396 View Post
Can someone verify that the slot shown in the top left green circle will also cause the fogs to come on after engine shut down in a V6 DC O/R...? (See comment below about 4 banger with bench seat)?

Thanks,

Rossi

Rossi396,

I have a 2012 DC TRD O/R and just finished this mod. I'm getting the 12V from the top left connection. Waiting to see if the fog lights turn on after engine shutdown.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrispyTaco View Post
Rossi396,

I have a 2012 DC TRD O/R and just finished this mod. I'm getting the 12V from the top left connection. Waiting to see if the fog lights turn on after engine shutdown.
Okay, I just saw my fog lights turn on for split second, then turn off. I wonder if they're going to be turning on and off every few minutes. I guess I'm going to have to wire it to the trailer relay.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #34
Special Substitute Guest Member
cintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
cintocrunch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi396 View Post
Anyone have a cleaner pic of this? Having trouble deciphering exactly what was done here...

Rossi
If you are talking about my picture (the one with the red wire) it doesn't get much simpler. Bend up the bottom left tab on the relay, add female connector to bent tab, add wire, add an inline fuse (I did 1 amp), add male connector, insert in seat heater relay location as shown. It took longer to explain to my father why this wouldn't damage the truck down than to do it (I tried to make it a father/son activity, bad choice).

Quote:
Okay, I just saw my fog lights turn on for split second, then turn off. I wonder if they're going to be turning on and off every few minutes. I guess I'm going to have to wire it to the trailer relay.
Check your fog light fuse. For some reason when I first pulled the relay and put it back it popped the fog light fuse. When I pulled the relay to do the mod I had no issues...
Old 04-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #35
Rossi396
Yeah...Got it. Thanks. I couldn't tell from the pic if the red wire went somewhere other than the seat heater relay. Which, by the way, I don't have...So this won't work for me anyway..! I'm just using the diagram with the two green circles and trying to remember to shut my fogs off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cintocrunch View Post
If you are talking about my picture (the one with the red wire) it doesn't get much simpler. Bend up the bottom left tab on the relay, add female connector to bent tab, add wire, add an inline fuse (I did 1 amp), add male connector, insert in seat heater relay location as shown. It took longer to explain to my father why this wouldn't damage the truck down than to do it (I tried to make it a father/son activity, bad choice).

Check your fog light fuse. For some reason when I first pulled the relay and put it back it popped the fog light fuse. When I pulled the relay to do the mod I had no issues...
Old 04-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #36
Mini-Monster truck!
TACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to beholdTACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to beholdTACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to beholdTACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to beholdTACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to beholdTACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to behold

TACOconvert2012's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeeboi View Post
Caribe makaira thought of even a cleaner way to wire it up for 2012 tacos.

There is no need to run the wire out of the small fuse box where the fog relay is since there are already 2 slots that are wired to ign power. They are the #2 slot (circled in green) and turn on/off with the ignition so you don't drain your battery. Suggested you use an inline fuse (1A will do) for extra protection.

So instead of running it to the Tail light relay in the large fuse box. just plug it into one of the available slots near the fog relay

ok so i used the slot with the green circle closest to the top of the pic... works perfect except that fog lights only com on with key turned all the way to ON position. it does not allow them to be used in the with the key on Acc like the other lights.. but hey still supper clean to keep in in one box no drilling and when the truck is off they stay off too.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOconvert2012 View Post
it does not allow them to be used in the with the key on Acc like the other lights.. but hey still supper clean to keep in in one box no drilling and when the truck is off they stay off too.
The other method can be done cleanly as well. These pics are from Johnny E and will give you the options you want:

• Notice where the wire is coming in with the other harness at the top.

• You can see the wire coming from the fog relay & going into the hole in the center of the box. Then it runs out with the other harness to the right. I removed the wire loom & ran the wire through the loom and re-taped it. It looks clean and no drilling required.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #38
Mini-Monster truck!
TACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to beholdTACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to beholdTACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to beholdTACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to beholdTACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to beholdTACOconvert2012 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny E View Post
Ultra Stealth Mod
After cintocrunch showed me the easy wayfor a 2012 it occured to me this could be done even cleaner. The image below is the underside of the sub panel. If you were to swap the red/black wire in the upper right corner with the pale green wire in the lower right you would not need the jumper wire or to mess with the relay. Note if you have heated seat the this would be bad as now they would only work with the headlights on lowbeam

I took a look at this tonight and it seems there is a small clip holding the witing connector in the panel. If anyone know how to release the clipthis would be a super clean mod, heck it would even be fused as it is a factory wire

how do you pop that sub fuse box up?? i couldnt figure it out and dont want to break it..
Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #39
Mini-Monster truck!

Quote:
The other method can be done cleanly as well. These pics are from Johnny E and will give you the options you want:

• Notice where the wire is coming in with the other harness at the top.

• You can see the wire coming from the fog relay & going into the hole in the center of the box. Then it runs out with the other harness to the right. I removed the wire loom & ran the wire through the loom and re-taped it. It looks clean and no drilling required.

you dont run a inline fuse??
Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOconvert2012 View Post
you dont run a inline fuse??
I did just to be safe. I also wire tied the green wire and the one coming from the fog relay. Don't want that sucker popping out.