Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

can you use window tint on headlights?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
can you use window tint on headlights?

Wanting to do the black headlight mod but I wanted to try to tint the lenses first with window tint. I know lamin-x makes a film for this but I would think that window tint would work the same. I still have some laying around for when I did my windows. Any input on this?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Why would you tint your headlights?!?!

If you really want them to look dark, do a full retrofit and black everything out including the reflector bowl. I can't see tinting the headlights being a good idea and I doubt window tint would hold up on the exterior (and it would be too hot on the interior). If you really must go forward with this hairbrained idea, look into VHT nightshades.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Why would you tint your headlights?!?!

If you really want them to look dark, do a full retrofit and black everything out including the reflector bowl. I can't see tinting the headlights being a good idea and I doubt window tint would hold up on the exterior (and it would be too hot on the interior). If you really must go forward with this hairbrained idea, look into VHT nightshades.

just lookin for a smoked look, similar to the oem headlights on the newer tacomas. Im just being a pussy about the bhlm. Wanted to tint them first and if that didnt work then here we go bhlm
Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
just lookin for a smoked look, similar to the oem headlights on the newer tacomas. Im just being a pussy about the bhlm. Wanted to tint them first and if that didnt work then here we go bhlm
I was nervous about the BHLM also, I ended up buying another set to tear apart so I wouldn't have any down time with my truck. When I was done, I sold my headlights for what I bought the other set for. Viet did a nice write-up and it's actually not that difficult. I had never done or even considered doing anything like that before. I say BHLM, don't waste your time with tint, it won't look nearly as good.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
I was nervous about the BHLM also, I ended up buying another set to tear apart so I wouldn't have any down time with my truck. When I was done, I sold my headlights for what I bought the other set for. Viet did a nice write-up and it's actually not that difficult. I had never done or even considered doing anything like that before. I say BHLM, don't waste your time with tint, it won't look nearly as good.

I will check it out, I will look for the viet thread. just dont want a lot of down time with mhy truck also, how long did it take you?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #6

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I will check it out, I will look for the viet thread. just dont want a lot of down time with mhy truck also, how long did it take you?
I'll save you some time, here's the thread I used:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...light-mod.html

I had my set done in a weekend. I baked and pulled apart the headlights Saturday morning, painted the bezels, baked the bezels and let them sit for the rest of the day and overnight. Sunday morning I put everything back together, swapped out the headlights and done. It can easily be done in a day, you just need to give the paint enough time to cure so the lenses don't fog on you. Baking the bezels after painting is a really nice trick and helps eliminate off gassing from the paint and really gives it a smooth finish.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
could spray with nightshades, but keep in mind this sounds like a bad idea to f with visibility
Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
I'll save you some time, here's the thread I used:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...light-mod.html

I had my set done in a weekend. I baked and pulled apart the headlights Saturday morning, painted the bezels, baked the bezels and let them sit for the rest of the day and overnight. Sunday morning I put everything back together, swapped out the headlights and done. It can easily be done in a day, you just need to give the paint enough time to cure so the lenses don't fog on you. Baking the bezels after painting is a really nice trick and helps eliminate off gassing from the paint and really gives it a smooth finish.
thanks pugga
Old 11-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dane
4x4Taco09's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you can use actual window tint. Ricers use colored tint to tint their lights all the time. But I would just do the BHLM man
Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quit being a baby and bake those headlights. It's not hard...I have done so many BHLM's I lost count around 10.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
just do the bhlm, after you get over the fear of putting one headlight in the oven then the next one is even easier, if you dont want to either you can look into black vinyl wrap. I had a local tint shop do my tailights in that since back home in california they will pull you over for litterally anything you do
Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #14
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The point of window tinting is to limit the amount of light that travels through the window. I wouldn't want that over my headlights...
Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #15

the look Im going for
I like like the first one better because of the clear turn signal, mine is a yellowish color now

Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the look Im going for
I like like the first one better because of the clear turn signal, mine is a yellowish color now

Could just be the picture but both of those look to have the yellowish turn signal. The black surround on the first one just makes it appear that it's clear.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Could just be the picture but both of those look to have the yellowish turn signal. The black surround on the first one just makes it appear that it's clear.
this /\
Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #19
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

i think he means in inner turn signal, not sure what year, or if they changed this in the later years, but with my blinker on the first one will be in the clear area while in the second picture he has the yellow plastic is removed and you can just see the bulb

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #20

better remind him to silicone the edges just to make sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgrednek3006 View Post
thats the link i posted for you