Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Blazer Fog Light Retro

Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
Blazer Fog Light Retro

So I pulled the trigger on this not too long ago. I've been lurking around "Yota Toy"s thread (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...g-housing.html) and finally finished the Blazer Fog Light Retro. Thanks Yota Toy for answering some questions I had. His thread was very easy to follow.

The kit was purchased from TRS and the heat sinks were purchased here:

UPDATE: Just google SKU: GWACS021 and get your 28mm heatsinks there
GWS Heat Sink for 28mm Inrunner type motors
SKU Number:GWACS021

He mentioned that he did the "Wire-Down Mod". That wire down mod can be found here: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...l=1#post314211

Here are some pics. I have not done the wire done mod yet and I plan to do so during my time off for the Veteran's Day holiday. I also need to aim them a tad bit higher.

That last pic is due to my camera on phone being unable to capture the true color + the HID was just warming up.

Let me know what you guys think. I'll post up more pics after the 'wire-down mod'.

-AnT
Attached Thumbnails
Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-04-20.00.03.jpg   Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-04-20.00.24.jpg   Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-04-20.03.48.jpg   Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-05-12.43.50.jpg   Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-05-12.45.48.jpg  

Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-05-17.06.54.jpg   Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-05-17.07.04.jpg   Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-05-17.12.28.jpg   Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-05-18.50.39.jpg   Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-08-12.24.16.jpg  

Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-08-12.24.24.jpg   Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-08-16.02.27.jpg   Blazer Fog Light Retro-2011-11-08-17.14.38.jpg  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Haven't heard from your buddy man.. maybe you should poke him for me....

I asked TRS "what happened to the S2Ks? I don't see them on your site"
They replied "S2K-R, Meh! that's all I have to say, lol." so yea.....

Dude... my 460s just washes out the fog lights.. LOL..but after looking at the wire down mod, i think it'll help... plus i need to aim the fogs a bit higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
no ap1's lol

looks good buddy hows the out put compared to those 460's? those things light up like 10 lanes across lol
Old 11-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
just an AnT

Wire Down Mod as quoted from the HIDplanet thread

"As far as blazers go when the bulb is installed in the socket it ends up with the return wire facing up...

What you need to do is trim the stop tooth on the base of the bulb and that will allow you to rotate it 180¬į to where the return wire will face down and that will give you the following results.

"
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
Wire Down Mod as quoted from the HIDplanet thread

"As far as blazers go when the bulb is installed in the socket it ends up with the return wire facing up...

What you need to do is trim the stop tooth on the base of the bulb and that will allow you to rotate it 180¬į to where the return wire will face down and that will give you the following results.

"
got you it produces some artifacts in the beam but, intensity is increased like 5 fold lol. you can do this with headlight projectors as well though the effects aren't as dramatic.

good stuff ant lol dammit your one upping me on the hids now i have to go out and spend the money on the ap1 s2k retro lol
Old 11-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
just an AnT

With a 4300k bulb or higher i would understand that the return wire down mod may not be a good idea for the purpose of a fog light. But since im using 3k bulbs, the yellow would be more ideal to 'pierce' through the fogs ya? To me, the wire-down mod evens out the whole output out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
honestly, I must be missing something.........."return wire up" has a nice crisp look to it and no hot spot...more ideal for fogs no?
help me see the error of my ways?
i used a dremel because i didnt have a hole cutter for a drill. i set the fogs lens down on a cloth and held the dremel in one hand and the fog in the other (highly recommend using gloves for safety) and the circle came out nearly perfect.. i just took my time and used an air compressor to blow out all the debris each time before i test fitted the blazers... pretty simple and straight forward
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
How did you measure/hold the fog housings to drill into them?? This is the one thing I'm worried about doing this...but I'm getting VERY convinced that I want these.
Looks great man!!
what's next, flashlights? You're one upping me on your knives! i need to get some
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
got you it produces some artifacts in the beam but, intensity is increased like 5 fold lol. you can do this with headlight projectors as well though the effects aren't as dramatic.
good stuff ant lol dammit your one upping me on the hids now i have to go out and spend the money on the ap1 s2k retro lol

THANK YOU!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Toy View Post
Looks great!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
How did you measure/hold the fog housings to drill into them?? This is the one thing I'm worried about doing this...but I'm getting VERY convinced that I want these.

Looks great man!!
Stay tuned, Brunes. I might have concocted a way so you don't have to be as careful with the drilling through the back of the housing.

Ant, looks great man! I can't wait to get this done.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
just an AnT

the mounting tabs on the projector should line up straight with the lines on the back of the projector housing....

where are you located? when you want to proceed with the retro, i can help you or something.. im in el monke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shweller View Post
Thanks for the info. I bought the complete Retro kit so I might be returning the harness myself. How did you go about setting the rotation of the projector in the fog light to get a level cut off line?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #16
shweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant future

shweller's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, I believe I just asked you the same question on another thread (noob move) . I'm in Garden grove (OC), I did a morimoto retro on my headlights on the first TRS group buy and am looking to do a retro on my fogs now since one of my HID ballasts went out on me.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #18
shweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant future

shweller's Tacoma Gallery
Blazers are on the way but the 9006 harness is back ordered along with with one of the heat sinks.Thinking about taking the light apart and putting in a CCFL ring on the inside of the outer edge of the reflector bowl with some kind of mini shroud......