Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Would this blinker "mod" work?

Old 11-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
Would this blinker "mod" work?

I plan on doing the first gen fog light mod in a few days, and i was wondering if i could put my lower lights in the over (like the 2nd gen headlight mod) and open them up and paint the inside black. I got this idea from my black Z71's euro tail lights, where the reverse light is just the bulb and the surrounding is black instead of chrome. I plan on retrofiting my headlights around Christmas and though it would look good with black lower lights. And has anyone done this? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Covered my lower lights with electrical tape so everyone could see what i was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Would this blinker "mod" work?-black-blinkers.jpg  
Old 11-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneBIGroom View Post
I plan on doing the first gen fog light mod in a few days, and i was wondering if i could put my lower lights in the over (like the 2nd gen headlight mod) and open them up and paint the inside black. I got this idea from my black Z71's euro tail lights, where the reverse light is just the bulb and the surrounding is black instead of chrome. I plan on retrofiting my headlights around Christmas and though it would look good with black lower lights. And has anyone done this? Thanks.
They would not project a whole lot of light because you would be getting rid of the reflective surface. But since they are just fog lights and you are doing it for looks I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Covered my lower lights with electrical tape so everyone could see what i was talking about.
I'm still confused about what you're trying to do.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
I'm still confused about what you're trying to do.
I think he's wanting to dremel open the light, and paint the chrome reflective housing black.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
SSS

NOT wanting to dremel the light open. Im wanting to do like the 2nd gen Black Head Light Mod does (put them in the oven at 200 degrees and bake for 8 min.) then pry them open and paint the chrome gloss black. Black to look good, and gloss for a little help with projecting the light.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
NOT wanting to dremel the light open. Im wanting to do like the 2nd gen Black Head Light Mod does (put them in the oven at 200 degrees and bake for 8 min.) then pry them open and paint the chrome gloss black. Black to look good, and gloss for a little help with projecting the light.
Not sure if that would work or not. For example, if you put the taillights in the oven in the same way you do the BHLM.....they melt.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
SSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Not sure if that would work or not. For example, if you put the taillights in the oven in the same way you do the BHLM.....they melt.
Only one way to try i guess... I'll just have to keep a good eye on them.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
SSS

And if i screw up... its only $20 for new ones
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-TACOM...item43a994de7e
Old 11-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
WORD!?!
tacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tacoman355's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=oneBIGroom;4021972]And if i screw up... its only $20 for new ones
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-TACOMA-01-02-03-04-PAIR-LEFT-LH-RIGHT-RH-CORNER-SIGNAL-LIGHT-LAMPS-/290607914622?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A2002%7CModel%3ATacoma&vxp=mtr&hash=it em43a994de7e[/QUOTE]

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,11729
not even, lol. i say go for it!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
SSS

It's going good! I've got them opened and they're in the process of being painted right now. I'll post pics and steps of what i had to do when i get it done!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's going good! I've got them opened and they're in the process of being painted right now. I'll post pics and steps of what i had to do when i get it done!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
SSS

The Mod.

I did it!
*First I preheated my oven to 300F the turned the oven OFF and set the lights in the oven for 10 minutes. (nervous right about now)

*Then I pryed the lights open with a small screwdriver and a small hook tool.

*I sanded the inside of the lights with 400 grit sandpaper.

*Primed the inside of the light and then painted with gloss black krylon.

*After it dried, i took some black silicone to seal the lights back and held it together over night with some rubber bands and electrical tape.

*Hooked up and i was ready to roll!

I was really surprised at how bright the blinkers still are. I haven't done the Fog Light Mod yet but might later.
Attached Thumbnails
Would this blinker "mod" work?-before.jpg   Would this blinker "mod" work?-oven-time.jpg   Would this blinker "mod" work?-open.jpg   Would this blinker "mod" work?-sanded.jpg   Would this blinker "mod" work?-painted.jpg  

Would this blinker "mod" work?-bonded.jpg   Would this blinker "mod" work?-after.jpg   Would this blinker "mod" work?-blinkers.jpg