Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Re-sealing Headlights Question

Old 11-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Re-sealing Headlights Question

Hey fellas, I have the ebay BHLM headlights on my truck and the drivers side is fogging up really bad from the rain and temp change we're having out here. I went to Home Depot and got some DAP Window and Door Silicone...its water and sun proof and non cracking. Where should I seal this damn thing? All around the edges? Also, is there any way to make the seal better where the bulbs screw in? (parking and turn signal)

Thanks for any help fellas...I'm drying the thing out now in the oven LMAO!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BUMP!!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i i resealed mine right when i got them, i did all around the edges
Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxTRDxxx View Post
yeah i i resealed mine right when i got them, i did the all around the edges
okay cool, any issues since?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
if you can, open it up and clean it.. then seal with window butly.. thing of tangy taffy..then you can put a bead of GE silicone where the lens meet the housing.
fuck man, thats a lil' more than I'm looking to do...I've done the BHLM before with some other guys on here and its kind of a PITA...I'll just try sealing the fuck out of it all around the edges
Old 11-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
You can't just seal it up now, the moisture will be trapped in there forever.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Take the headlight off and bake it on about 200 degrees for 10 minutes at a time until the water evaporates. The water should evaporate out of the housing as long as you don't have a ton of water in there. I have done this in the past with good luck when I had condensation. Then run the bead of silicon around the seam where the lens meets the housing. Put on some latex gloves and work it into the seam with your finger. I recommend gloves because that silicon gets messy and doesn't clean off with water. Make sure you have a lot of paper towels handy.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Put a silica gel packet in the light and it will soak up the moisture. Then you can seal them off.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #10

I'm not sealing it with the moisture in there...i'm drying it out now...its in the oven. I'll make sure its completely dry before re-sealing fellas
Old 11-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Take the headlight off and bake it on about 200 degrees for 10 minutes at a time until the water evaporates. The water should evaporate out of the housing as long as you don't have a ton of water in there. I have done this in the past with good luck when I had condensation. Then run the bead of silicon around the seam where the lens meets the housing. Put on some latex gloves and work it into the seam with your finger. I recommend gloves because that silicon gets messy and doesn't clean off with water. Make sure you have a lot of paper towels handy.
your the man!!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
okay cool, any issues since?
no, they are pretty good for now
Old 11-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
Bently is on a distinguished road
Bently's Tacoma Gallery
head lights

Whats everyone running for headlights? im looking for something brighter other than the oem parts.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bently View Post
Whats everyone running for headlights? im looking for something brighter other than the oem parts.
The OEM housings are actually pretty good compared to other manufacturers. Those cheap Ebay projector housings will not be as bright. Like Wolfpack said, for the best light output, retrofit the stock housings with projectors. Check out theretrofitsource.com, that's where most of the members here got their kits from.

If you're looking for something simplier, try Philips X-treme bulbs or PIAA X-Treme white bulbs. I've had both and they'll both outshine the OEM bulbs.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I run silvania silverstars in mine and they improved the brightness a little bit over stock. They only last about 9 months to a year but I am willing to deal with that.

Our stock headlights are actually quite bright. My girlfriend's Jeep compass for example has horrible headlights. I hate driving her car at night.