Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Fog Light Retrofit

Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #181
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Lightforce uses goretex breathers..........just an idea
Oooh... that's a good idea! Thanks Brock!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #182
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Update, the passenger side has condensation in it once again...

I need opinions. The driver's side light has been sealed up for months, not a drop of condensation in there. The passenger one has been torn down, cleaned up and resealed 3 times and it still won't stay sealed. If you saw it this last time, you'd laugh, I coated the entire housing with silicone, the only exception being the lens. Seriously, I used an entire tube of RTV silcone on the f-in thing! So, here's my next approach... I want to drill a small hole in the bottom of the housing to let it 'breathe'. I'm going with the mentality that water is going to get in, so I might as well plan for it and give it a place to get out. Thoughts?
Water will get in through the wires. Are both wires are in a tube or something?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #183
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
Water will get in through the wires. Are both wires are in a tube or something?
There's a rubber boot where the wires go into the projector. I coated the crap out of the whole damn thing with silicone. Literally, I gave everything a silicone bath except the lens, even the wires and there they plug in. If you saw the housing, you'd laugh because it's just a black silicone ball. I'm honestly at a loss trying to figure out how water is getting in, that housing should be sealed up tighter than a termite's butthole.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #184
GO TIGERS!
holyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
holyfield19's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to here of your troubles once again. Luckily, mine have not leaked or condensated....yet, but there is always that chance. When I put mine together I JB welded the entire housing...it's almost bullet proof. and when I siliconed the bulb gromet, I put some (very little) on the inside of it. Tried to seal it from both sides.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #185

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyfield19 View Post
Sorry to here of your troubles once again. Luckily, mine have not leaked or condensated....yet, but there is always that chance. When I put mine together I JB welded the entire housing...it's almost bullet proof. and when I siliconed the bulb gromet, I put some (very little) on the inside of it. Tried to seal it from both sides.
I did the same thing! JB welded it solid, silicone before the bulb went in, and also on top of where the bulb/projector meet, siliconed the crap out of the area that already had JB weld and then smeared the silicone all across the back side of the housing. I'm beyond confused at this point. I think I'm going to drill a hole, glue some of that goretex stuff over the hole and call it a day
Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #187
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 04-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #188
GoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
GoDeacsWFU23's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my Blazer fog kit in the mail today from their 20% off sale this past week. Hopefully I don't screw it up.....doesn't look as easy as my headlight retro fit was.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #190

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
This may be my next project
You might have trouble sourcing the Blazer projectors. Last I heard they were discontinued and that was a while ago. There might still be a few sets kicking around but I don't know how available they are.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #191
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Matchboxes are what they're selling for fogs now. That's what I'm grabbing.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #192

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Matchboxes are what they're selling for fogs now. That's what I'm grabbing.
Can't wait to see those! The only bad thing about the matchboxes is that you really have to have everything sealed up really, really well since they won't hold water out at all. Also, I'm not sure if there is enough depth in the fogs to hold them since they have to fit completely inside the housing whereas the Blazers protrude out the back quite a bit.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #193
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Is the fog projector worth it, the projectors i have now completely drown out my fogs, i cant see it getting better.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #194

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
Is the fog projector worth it, the projectors i have now completely drown out my fogs, i cant see it getting better.
They're really nice, but honestly after retrofitting (strictly looking at it from a light output standpoint) I'm not sure I'd do it again. Looks-wise, I'd definitely do it, I run with just the fogs on a lot and they are bright! I can easily drive with just my fogs on. All that being said, the H1's will drown out my fogs. If it weren't for the fore-ground limiter on the H1's, you'd be hard pressed to even tell that the fogs were on. If you do this mod, I'd suggest doing the fog light anytime mod so you don't keep cycling them off and on frequently.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #195
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can't wait to see those! The only bad thing about the matchboxes is that you really have to have everything sealed up really, really well since they won't hold water out at all. Also, I'm not sure if there is enough depth in the fogs to hold them since they have to fit completely inside the housing whereas the Blazers protrude out the back quite a bit.
Shouldn't be any different than my fxr's. I'll
Just get some rubber sleeve on there for that.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #196
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They're really nice, but honestly after retrofitting (strictly looking at it from a light output standpoint) I'm not sure I'd do it again. Looks-wise, I'd definitely do it, I run with just the fogs on a lot and they are bright! I can easily drive with just my fogs on. All that being said, the H1's will drown out my fogs. If it weren't for the fore-ground limiter on the H1's, you'd be hard pressed to even tell that the fogs were on. If you do this mod, I'd suggest doing the fog light anytime mod so you don't keep cycling them off and on frequently.
I see... well i may be getting some 5100's for free so i may go get some eibachs instead...

Thanks for the honesty pugga
Old 03-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #198
ESWOOSH is on a distinguished road
ESWOOSH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So it begins...
Step 1 - Remove fog lights. No pics of this, just push the tabs in on either side of the adjuster screw and pull the light straight out.

Step 2 - Cut the lens off the fog light housing. I used a dremel tool for this with a cutting wheel. Wear safety glasses for this, the lens material is a hard plastic and it does make a mess. Don't cut in too far or you'll go into the chrome plastic on the inside (I did this in a couple places by accident). See lessons learned, I found a hack saw is a better way to remove the lens vs. the dremel.

Mis-Cuts

Step 3 - I cut off the fog light housing back where the light bulb goes in. This made it easier to use the hole saw in the next step. See lessons learned, leave this piece in place and it acts like a guide for the hole saw making sure you stay centered on the housing.

Step 4 - I used a 2" hole saw to cut a hole in the fog light housing. You'll notice the Blazers aren't round at the back though, they're more of an oval. To make the hole more oval, I used the Dremel tool attachment that looks like a weird drill bit but cuts sideways (not sure what it's called).

Mock-up of what the final product will be (minus the shrouds, I needed another set of hands to hold the shroud in place). Make sure the lens will clear the projector when put back on. This looks like it sticks out quite a ways but the lens will still clear by 1/4 - 1/2".

Step 5 - Off to the paint shop (AKA my basement). I decided to black out the shroud and the housing so the fogs will have a blacked out look until flicked on.

Step 6 - Do plenty of mock-ups and when you're satisfied with the fit, JB Weld the projectors in place, again make sure the lens will clear the projector. I used alligator clips to hold the projector where I wanted and hung it from the ceiling then applied the JB weld. I think I'm going to apply silicone over the JB Weld also to make sure it's water tight. Hanging by the projector seemed to be the easiest way to make sure everything stayed put.

Step 7 - Trim shroud and epoxy in place (JB Weld). When you trim the shroud, remember that if you just trim it square, it will only contact the reflector bowl on the edges. You need to make arched cuts to make sure everything stays tight so you can epoxy the whole shroud base. Again, I made the mistake of just trimming the shroud square.

Step 8 - Reseal the lights! Make sure the inside of the light is nice and clean, use a lint-free cloth to wipe everything down, wipe off the projector lens and thoroughly clean the inside of the fig light lens. Test fit the lens, make a mark so you know the orientation. There is an SAE stamp on the front, I make a mark over the A so I knew which way it fit best. Run a thick bead of silicone around the fog light base and put the lens on. I used my finger around the edge to smear the silicone around the edge for a good seal. Remember, you only have one shot at sealing these things up. It's not like your headlights where you can just throw them back in the oven to open them up again.

Step 9 - Remove Tape

Step 10 - Drink Captain

First light done! I only did one at a time because my passenger fog light was already leaking so it was a good one to experiment with.
Finally installed!

Second light underway...

ayyyyy just saw this post. Gonna do this myself, Probably start another thread of job. but i was thinking to make the seem look better where the dremeled clear plastic meets the black plastic you could paint the the part that meets on the clear plastic too so you dont see the silicone. im also probably going to put a rubber graumet between the two when i do to give it a smooth factory look.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:28 AM   #199

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESWOOSH View Post
ayyyyy just saw this post. Gonna do this myself, Probably start another thread of job. but i was thinking to make the seem look better where the dremeled clear plastic meets the black plastic you could paint the the part that meets on the clear plastic too so you dont see the silicone. im also probably going to put a rubber graumet between the two when i do to give it a smooth factory look.
The one that I cut with a hack saw actually came out a lot better than the one I attempted to use the Dremel on. The Dremel was melting the plastic so the slower speed hack saw gave a much cleaner look. I suppose I could have polished the back side of the plastic around the outer ring where the cut was. That would have eliminated the white from the cut. You should definitely make another thread if you're going to try another method. There aren't many addressing a fog light retrofit, especially since you have an interesting new approach. Good luck